VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to narrow down my issue with my 2002 GTI VR6. I hear a pretty loud clunking (steel on steel) sound when maxing out my turning radius, only at low speeds, in/out of driveway. Is this CV Joint? Ball Joint? Or Control Arm bushings? What can I do to diagnose the problem?

Also, I'm thinking what ever the issue is that it is screwing with my alignment. I had the car aligned at Town Fair Tire but I hear they are not the most reliable. Either way the insides of my two front tires are pretty much bald when the outside part is fine. Does this have something to do with my control arm bushings or CV joints?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
cv joints make a constant click click click sound while the wheels are turned. and usually worse the more they are turned. inner tire ware can be cause by a few things. to much toe in or to much camber.
jack the front of the car up and wiggle the tire while holding it at 3 and 9. this is how you check the tie rods. start with that.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I snapped a pinch bolt one time that sounded a lot like what you are describing. I would buy a control arm kit and replace everything. 02? they are probably pretty worn. otherwise like psst said... ball joints.

·
Registered
132 Posts
a ball joint out of alignment would cause your tires to bald on the inside, have you ever changed the suspension components on this car?

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
1. alignment.
2. ball joints
3. strut bushings / bearings
4. tie rod ends
5. control arm bushings.

problem solved.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine this when the front struts/springs/ and mount was gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a ball joint out of alignment would cause your tires to bald on the inside, have you ever changed the suspension components on this car?
No I have never changed anything. I bought the car about a year ago and as far I know everything is still original.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I put the stage 3 kit in about 2k kms ago. Love it. Rides like a dream

1 - 12 of 12 Posts