VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Bilstein sport shocks/struts & Sachs sport springs installed in my 2000 gti vr6 at the end of august. Ever since then, while I am turning and going slow, I hear a clunking noise. I know it is my suspension. It sounds like the spring is flexing or compressing. I thought it would take a while to get worn in, but I didn't think it would take that long. Has anyone heard of this, or has anyone's suspension done this? How long til my suspension gets worn in? Or should I have taken my car somewhere else to get it installed? Can I do anything to fix it??? Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fstgti:

on the rears i found that the way the damper fits into the isolator there is a small gap between the bottom of the isolator and the top of the damper boot, ussually on your stock suspension there are those long yellow rubber foam things in there , this gap is small but makes an awfull noise inside the car, i filled it with 5/8 ID x 3/16 inch thick O-rings from pepboys, and about a 1 inch diameter 5/8 ID metal washer, put the washer on top of the boot and the o ring on top of that,then the isolator , torque to 15 ftlbs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the WEITEC TX kit and have had this annoying clunk in the rear, but it's only on the passenger side. Have unistalled and reinstalled and can't seem to figure out why it still clunks. Maybe , this will help , i will report back after the weekend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
front or rears? i have bilstien coilovers PSS's theyre awesome shocks, ive had clunking probs since the install tho.

on the rears i found that the way the damper fits into the isolator there is a small gap between the bottom of the isolator and the top of the damper boot, ussually on your stock suspension there are those long yellow rubber foam things in there , this gap is small but makes an awfull noise inside the car, i filled it with 5/8 ID x 3/16 inch thick O-rings from pepboys, and about a 1 inch diameter 5/8 ID metal washer, put the washer on top of the boot and the o ring on top of that,then the isolator , torque to 15 ftlbs.

now for the fronts which just started clunking on mine, due to the fact that my dumba$$ forgot to put the actual strut bearing back in, i followed the bilstien instructions and they dont even mention the strut bearing, i just put the shock right into the rubbber isolator and bolted it up, i was wondering why there was such a gap between the cup and the top of the shock tower, and the isolator should spin freely on the bearing if torqued properly.

im taking care of that this weekend though....maybe youve done something similar..? anyway...hope this helps and as i find out more ill repost.

damper -- that tuby thing that has oil and gas in it
spring -- that springy thing that holds the car up
ID -- inside diameter
isolator -- that rubber and metal thing that the top of the damper bolts to
strut bearing -- aluminium ring half rounded 1/2 in thick - goes between the top of your front damper and the isolator

sorry so long!

·
Registered
75 Posts
i solved all of my probs this weekend!! what a difference putting the strut bearing in makes!! the car rides great and is nice and quiet, thankfully i didnt damage anything!!

good luck guys!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the clunking is coming from my front. I have Bilstein sport shocks/struts (not coilovers). The guys who installed them said they ordered new strut bearings & installed them. I will have to get an oil change soon, so I will ask the guys about it. Maybe I will take it to a different shop (rather than take it to the same shop who put my suspension on). I will let you know the outcome when I go in. Thanks for your help guys. Let me know if you solve any clunking problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the mk4 cars the strut bearing can easily be put in upside down accidently.or if you are using impact guns...when you tighten the top nut it will loosen the bearing nut..we have run into this problem over and over with people installing their own suspensions or unqualified shops lowering cars..hope this helps

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I have has similar problem with my Neuspeed Springs but after a month it all settled and it rides quiet now.
I have heard from another VW fan about the bearing so I would check that out for sure if you uncertain or if it takes too long to settle in.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found out what was making the clunky sound. It was in the shop, and they said that my springs were too short for my shocks. so there was a little play-not super tight-so the actual spring was rotating, not just the bearing like it should. Sooo, Im looking around for springs that are a perfect match for my bilsein sport shocks. Any suggestions???????? Thanks

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i suggest H&R spots. they are suposivly the best and soo many people have them with bilsiens and say that is the best set up you can buy. so i definetly suggest them. i have a set of the sports my self. they are probly gonna go on around jan. 3rd. so ill let you know how i liek them. oh and btw, they are a 1.5 in. drop. what were your springs drop? hope this helps.
rich

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think my springs were 1.5"-2" drop. I am kicking around the idea of taking off the bilstein sport shocks/struts, selling them (and my springs), putting on my stock setup back on, and buying bilstein coilovers. I found a place with a good price for the coilovers. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to swap out my sport suspension back to stock, and install coilovers?? Please let me know if you can. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts