VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it appears i need a new clutch, and im not going to pay some crazy ammount to have the dealer install one!! i found the actual clutch for cheap, anyway i need to know how hard its going to be to install and if you have to pull the motor or somthing ill just let the dealer do it.... if not i want to just go get my car back.... how about some suggestions!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
It will be a hell of a lot easier with a proper lift, and transmission jack. I have done them in older models, but with the proper equipment, and tools. I am looking at the Bentley now, trying to figure out a simplified version of this removal to dictate to you in writing.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet i appreciate the responce!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Damn, this calls for all sorts of "special" VW tools, and crap. I would honestly look around for a shop to install this, or maybe if you know a VW tech with some extra time, they might be able to do it on the side. The thing is, it's not something you want to half-ass! With a shop install, you at least get some sort of word that if something goes afterwards, they will fix it free. It could be more problems then it worth to do it yourself, especially if you haven't done one before, and don't have the proper equipment. It could end up costing you a lot more money if something gets screwed up, you know?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats pretty much what i was expecting, on a camaro or somthing i know its pretty much a snap being rwd and all, but i still dont think i want to pay the dealership prices... im sure ill be able to work somthing out.. so what are some better than stock clutches ? if im gonna replace it i dont want an oem..

·
Registered
510 Posts
let a pro do it ! ! !
On my mom's 99 Jetta it took 3 poeple almost 12 hours non stop to do it. Yeah they had all them tools needed, and they were truck mechanics but still - let some pros do it. thats all i can say, but make sure to find a cheap one.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Go to ECStuning.com. I have spent a ton of time and they have the best prices on clutch kits out there, plus I have seen a ton of great reviews on them. I am doingmine this weekend, so I will update and attempt to write a how to when I am done with it.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Go to the dealership right now and start talking to one of the techs. After you guys are good friends, ask him if he does any work on the side, and hopefully he will say yes, and you will get the work cheap. I did that and got my new strut mount installed for $50, and the parts cost me $20. The dealership was charging around $275 for each side. Took the kid about half an hour to do, if that.

And as far as buying a clutch goes, you can get a 10 or 15% discount on one from Unorthodox Racing since you are a VWF member. (Refer to my previous thread: Unorthodox Racing - 15% discount for VWF members )

[ November 19, 2003: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
THe easiest thing to do with a fwd car is pull the whole engine and tranny out, seperate the tranny put in your new clutch, reinstall and away you go!!!!! takes about 5 hours! you need a set of serated wrenches to get the half shafts off propperly and an engine hoist...ive done over 20 clutches and i work alone...cuz i dont have any freinds...
(jk)...but it can be done...if you have the time and tools, go for it! if not...it would be a whole lot better to take it in!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fstgti:
THe easiest thing to do with a fwd car is pull the whole engine and tranny out, seperate the tranny put in your new clutch, reinstall and away you go!!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do not need to yank the motor out of a MKIV to replace the clutch........

I will hopefully have a how to w/ pics after this upcoming weekend if I can finally get around to getting mine done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts