VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving an '02 jetta tdi 5 spd. having an issue right now, looking for some diagnosing tips, or ideas on what I should be looking at. clutch/transmission is a bit of a mystery to me sometimes.

will do my best to explain. sorry if my methods of explaining are confusing.

thought my transmission was going, had very hard shifts especially into 3rd and 4th. playing around, I found that if I double clutch, I had smoother shifting.

decided to try and bleed the system at the clutch slave cylinder (being a cheap option I can try), made the problem worse, but, I think pointed me towards either it just needing to be bled properly, or slave cylinder failing? ... after I bled it the first time, shifting got worse, and I would need to pump the clutch several times to get a smooth shift between each gear. I bled it again, and it's somewhat better now, but still some hard shifts.

neither time when bleeding did I see any air bubbles or foamy fluid or anything.

fluid level is fine, doesn't seem to be dropping or anything that would make me think it's leaking.

another thing I've noticed. if I'm stopped (at a light or something) and shift into first, it's obvious the clutch isn't fully disengaging when I've got the peddle in.

it seems to change somewhat depending on driving situations.

I've read various posts on failed slave cylinders, but more often it seems to be clutch pedal on the floor & not coming up. My issue seems like the peddle just isn't fully disengaging the clutch?

it's not something I can just throw money at, so I'd prefer to have a very good idea on what's wrong before I do.

any tips, suggestions, additional information, related posts, etc would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
you need to use a power bleeder and rebleed it.. and rebleed. and rebleed. its a pain.

def sounds like you have an air pocket that isnt working its way out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 00 2.0 manual and I am having similar issues with mine. If I am at a light and I try to push the clutch in fast then put the car into gear it will grind. Also when I am taking off and I shift into third it grinds a little. It's not that I'm not pushing the clutch in all the way. Even when I am driving normally I sometimes have to push the clutch 2 or 3 times before I can put it in gear. Any suggestions will deffenitly only help..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts