VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, am I a lil pissed. Last monday on my dayoff I went to get my oil changed then headed 30 miles off to auburn to goto APR to get an ecu upgrade. Put it in in less than an hour. HAPPY, GREAT FEELING with the extra hp. But now to the sad part. Later that night only after driving it chipped for about an hour, my clutch went out!! UGHH! Takin it to the shop tommorow so wish me luck. APR told me its impossible for their tech to see its chipped unless he can drive it and feels the extra power, just makin sure thats true?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It's definitely impossible to hide the fact that a car is chipped from a good tech. It is possible that they will not notice it. Usually they won't if they are not looking for such a thing.

I feel you on the clutch however, my first 20th AE wouldn't shift into gear after only 25 miles off the lot. I had to get the whole car swapped out.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
APR's software is not decetable by the computers. Its not as uncommon as u might think for the 1.8t clutches to be blown after 10k miles. 2 Weeks after my friend was chipped he blew his clutch, with around 40k miles on it. If you can, upgrade the the 228mm, vr6, clutch and flywheel. They can hold much more power for a longer time.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Did you get the stock program too? if so throw it in that before you take it in.
jon

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No me bein a dumbass didnt get the stock program just because I am gettin the APR Stage 3 Turbo upgrade in less than a year, if you are a chip owner ALL the other programs come free. SO I thought id wait and save a lil money you know? Do you guys think that VW will throw that in if i pay the difference? And do you know what the difference would be?

~Travis

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It amazes me that people burn up clutches at low mileage on these cars. I have 70,000 miles total on mine now, I am making probably 235hp and close to 300lb/ft at the flywheel on APR 100 (which I run every week for the last two years), have 75-100 1/4 mile passes, and beat the shit out of the car every single second I drive it.........and am still on the stock clutch. I have been chipped for about 50,000 of those miles. Even now, it only slips a tiny bit when it it hot outside and I really hammer on it, or if I am really beating it at the track doing multiple back to back passes at the drag strip. I simply don't ride the clutch when daily driving it.

[ January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
yeah, it is crazy hoe people just burn up clutches. my friend burned his then got pissed at the dealer for not fixin it.he was at like 15k miles

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
If you can, upgrade the the 228mm, vr6, clutch and flywheel. They can hold much more power for a longer time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G60 flywheel, VR6 clutch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts