VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a few electical issues with my 1600 type 2 engine setup. First started to wonder when my tacho started to fluctuate erratically and show me about twice the actual rpm. Decided to try another tach and same result. Basic set up is a blue coil to 009 Bosch dizzy. had a couple of magnetronic systems in there but took them out at various times and now housing regular points. I checked the primary resistance over the coil and got a 1.8V which i think is very low. Checked the voltage over the battery with the engine running and to voltage regulator and to the +15 on the coil with a suprisingly high 16-17V! Is this not very high as I was expecting 13.5-14V? Generator is new.
I want to reinstall the magnetronic system but am concerned about damaging it with all these crazy readings.
my van is giving good cruising speeds but very poor acceleration through the central rev range.
I am wondering if my regualtor is not working and thus giving large voltages everywhere.
anyone have any ideas...most of the written material talks about poor voltage and not overvoltage...
thanks
Daniboy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Is your battery smelling like sulphuric acid? Have you checked the battery water level lately and was it ok or low? If you're getting 17 volts anywhere in the system, your generator is over charging. Are you sure about the accuracy of your meter?

Ainokea

1 - 2 of 2 Posts