VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about lowering my car soon. Really want airbags but just doesn't seem practical. So my second choice is coilover probably going w/the h&R coilovers. OK my question is I've heard alot of people talking about strut bearings and mounts getting destroyed shortly after going lower. Have you guys had these problems? Can/should I get better strut mounts and bearings and install them the same time as I lower the car? Do you just deal w/the problem when it happens and replace them w/oem strut mounts and bearings?

·
Registered
33 Posts
depends on how many miles you have racked up.

I would say if you have 30k+ miles or so it would be a good bet to change the mounts and bearings. BUT if you only have 5k miles..then the parts are brand new why bother, ya know?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I have heard if you have more than 50k miles on your car, they should be replaced. so I would go for an upgrade if I were you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just a lil over 30k so I guess changing them before I install the coilovers is a good idea..right? If I do this am I going to have to worry about doing it again in a year?

·
Registered
33 Posts
yes but those VW motorsport bushings, bearings cost like $150? I mean I'm sure they are that stiff/good but damm its a VW not a benz. I thikn you should get just new oem stuff and you'll be good. Anyway its not like your track your car every week, do you?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I had H&R Coilovers for 30K miles without a problem with strut bearings or mounts. And I didn't drive them easy either. When I sold the suspension and put the stock back on everything was in great shape. I did replace the bearings though just because everything was already off. No worries, just do it

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
It really depends, I know my drivers side strut mount went, replaced it with another OEM one, going again. Some spring time I'm going with VWMS ones (if I still have my car). Also, just a suggestion, but I think you will find a lot of people on this forum will highly reccomend going with sports springs/shocks as opposed to coilovers. VW's tend to get the best handling at close to stock ride height.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
straz85 i have been reading alot on this forum about that and but I really want ride heigh adjustability. I'm starting to re-think my options though. I'm not going to go the track regularly so i dont' really need coilovers. It would be cheaper also. Should I still replace the strut bushings and bearings?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Anything more than a 1.8" drop will hurt handling (proven w/ simple phsyics)and cause the bushing to wareout faster.

Get spring/strut kit over coils.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Get the dampers fro them that will help proloing them alittle but all in all your going to have to get new ones.

03 1.8t jetta tinted windows,system,clarion dvd player neuspeed cold air intake turbotonics blow off value,fox exhaust

1 - 12 of 12 Posts