VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coilovers: FK Street-Line or Raceland Ultimos or WRD's?

So here they are:

FK Street-Line:
Volkswagen Jetta IV 1.8T ECS News FK Street-Line Coil Over Kit for VW MKIV & New Beetle

or

Raceland Ultimos:
Mk4 Jetta GLI Coilovers

WRD's:
WRD

I understand they are not the best coilovers as you can see my budget is around $500. Any feed back would be great they both will be around the same price the Fk's will run me $440 and the Ultimos $432 not much of a difference. If any help on helping me decide which to go with. The WRD's are 400 but dnt know how much for shipping yet, but still around my budget.

Im going to run these with the stock C5 corvette wheels which are Front 17x8.5", 58mm offset
Rear 18x9.5" 65mm offset.

Looking to purchase any of these this weekend. Any help on deciding which to go with will be appreciated thanks. :bow:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
fk's have been known to blow easily. i would go with ultimos. there are at least one or two cheap coils worth considering.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
those are the ones i was trying to think of. probably better than ultimos from what i hear.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
A local guy blew his ultimos out in 2 weeks. Granted raceland did send him another set that lasted a month...
All it takes is one good hard bump to bottom out the strut and cause it to leak.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have gotten mixed reviews here and on another forum I posted but mostly negative ones about the raceland ultimos many say just go with FK's.
You guys suggest WRD's to be honest never heard of them, but I did some googling and came through many positive reviews. Still weighing my options and now leaning towards WRD's does anybody know shipping prices to southern california?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Its good to replace the strut mounts and bearings. Rear shock mounts not so much.
Give them a call. I've ordered stuff from them before.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its good to replace the strut mounts and bearings. Rear shock mounts not so much.
Give them a call. I've ordered stuff from them before.
Will do and thanks :chug:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the feedback but dam really knocking my head over this alot of mixed reviews around the net!!!!
HELP ME!!!!!!
wannna place my order this weekend lol

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
1. wrd
2. raceland
3. fk

i dont think wrds go ridiculously low like ultimos, but i believe the ride quality is better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didnt buy them Im in no rush tho lol my wheels are going to be powdercoated this week so I mean I got time but seriously still undecided but definitely leaning towards WRD's

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have been running the raclands for over 2 years now with no problems..the ride is still pretty good, but overall i love them for the price..there a good coil just to get you low.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if buying budget coils get the ones with the best warranty ;-)
this and all the searching I did won me over thanks guys ordered my set already went with standard ground shipping so hopefully they arrive by friday so I can get them installed this coming weekend...
So how hard are they to install?
does the raceland "how to install coilovers?" video on youtube help?
what will I need?
Also will be referring to the diy section too I think I saw a thread on installing coilovers

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Hardest part is removing the old suspension. Too me its not hard cause I have had mine out so many times. Give yourself about 4 hours to do it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok cool sounds reasonable...
Any specific tools I would need??

1 - 20 of 64 Posts