VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this is my first thread... and also I'm new to the VW life so my question might sound a little "laughable" to the people that know a lot of VW..

well my questions is: does 1992 Jetta GLI coilovers fit a Jetta GLS 1997??

and does anyone know where i can find a cheap kit of lowering coilover for a Jetta GLS 1997?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
151 Posts
if you are looking at racelands you can throw in RSK's to the conversation. im running those, they are cheap but no complaints so far. on par with racelands from what ive encountered. I think the raceland ultimos might go lower but honestly mine arent even down all the way and i can go any lower without notching frames and all. low enough though to notice significantly better handling. less understeer too since the front doesnt lift up as much on acceleration. had them on since the summer and ive driven a lot on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you are looking at racelands you can throw in RSK's to the conversation. im running those, they are cheap but no complaints so far. on par with racelands from what ive encountered. I think the raceland ultimos might go lower but honestly mine arent even down all the way and i can go any lower without notching frames and all. low enough though to notice significantly better handling. less understeer too since the front doesnt lift up as much on acceleration. had them on since the summer and ive driven a lot on them.
Cool ill consider them too..But they fit just like stock ones or i migh have to buy something elso when installing them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I end up buying the rsk coilovers..
RSK Street coilover Kit VW MK2 MK3 Golf Jetta | eBay
the red ones not the yellow. ..
yes they are cheap but I don't race, don't go to the track or anything related to it. I just wanted to low the car a little..

As you can see I didn't lower it that much.. I think I might lower the rear it a little more but ill do it later..

and yes that's my wife inside the car :p

this is a closer look of the front

that's all the thread I have left.. about 2.5 inches plus the helper springs is like 2.5 more inches. So I guess the can go lower about 5 inches or so

As you can see the rear is not that lower but im ok with that

in this one there is a lot of thread left as you can see.. so it can be lower about 6 to 7 inches without the helper spring.

This are my first coilover kit I have ever, so I can't compare to anything.
They bounce a little but not as bad as I thought it was going to be after reading all the coilovers reviews

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock high? I had 6 inches of clearance from tire to fender on my stock suspension. .
Plus I'm moving soon to another state and I'm going to pack my car with a lot of sh!t and I'm driving for 16 hours so that's one of the reasons I haven't lower it more.. I will eventually lower it more but not after I get some 16s or 17s.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you could drop it 1" and it would be fine even to carry stuff for a move - ive had to move ton of diff types of stuff in my golfs one with spring/strut setup and the other with coilovers and even with a packed trunk the suspension will be alright, ive moved stuff on lower. either way the new suspension probably feels great looks like your tires have some tread too if the hot shine isn't fooling me =)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who knows maybe ill lower it a little more.. I'm still letting the coilovers to settle, ill align the car next week so I have time to play with the ride high..
But san antonio roads are not in the best shape so I still don't know because is my daily driver even though the engine is only have 35k miles the chassis have 157k so I can't abuse it to much, and yes the tires are new :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts