VW Forum banner

Cold idle trouble

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tfuller 
#1 ·
Ok so for my next issue... my engine in my '78 Super Beetle Convertible has a lot of trouble idling when it's cold, and needs to be given gas to start and to stay alive. Once it's driven a little bit or sits for a few minutes it starts and idles fine. I've checked the intake air sensor and it seems fine, and I don't believe it's the fuel lines, but it's still a possibility. I took one of the spark plugs out today and it looked fine, but does anyone know what the gap should be on them? It looks to be about .028 at the moment.

Also the EGR valve might have an issue. In the manual I have it says to try disconnecting it and you should hear the engine start to sputter, but if not there's a problem with the valve, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the engine leading me to believe that there's an issue with it. The connector is showing voltage at idle so the switch is ok. Should I try and find a new valve?

By the way, in case I can get a hold of a portable tachometer, what should a typical idle speed be?

Thanks again for any help :)

#4 ·
Hi,

Well I realized under further inspection that the EGR valve has already been plugged, explaining the lack of response... but not explaining the problem. I have been looking into the cold start injector but haven't gotten around to inspecting it yet. It seems like it would explain the problems though. I'll post the results when I get time to do it. Being in school at the same time I don't have a huge amount of time to devote to it, unfortunately.

#5 ·
idle trouble

i too had the same problem about a week ago.i have a 74 bug.i bought it after it was stored for 25 years.i was putting in about 5 bucks every 3 days to make sure the tank didnt leak,then i topped off the tank.it started idleing like crap.id have to push the throttle to keep it idleing till it warmed up.then i went for a cruise and was running about 65 or 70 for about a hour and it cleared right up.i think i sucked up something from a dirty filter.ive put about 400 miles on it sence then and been runing great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.