VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i wanted to get a column pod with the boost guage on it for ym car...i was just wondering how hard it was to install. Would I need to have some one else do it or is it pretty simple...let me know...thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It's not bad at all.

You will need to take off the oem column, run a wire down the column to the oem dimmer switch, and connect the lighting for the gauge there. There are good places to ground near the switch also. Then assemble the gauge, and run the vaccum hose through the firewall into the engine bay. Then, you will need to tap into either the wastegate hose for boost, or the line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator.

If you search, you should find some threads with pictures for the install. I'm sure whortex has some also.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Since you have an '01, its possible that it might have side impact curtain airbags..there is a special metal clip that holds the pillar in at the top, the rest are plastic and are just pulled out with the rest of the pillar. There is a special tool to do this from VW...I will get you the tool number tomorrow if you need it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just got the steering column and boost guage package from ecstuning.com and put it in last weekend it was a piece of cake. There are alot of diy threads on vwvortex that show how to install a boost guage. As for mounting the column there is a little plastic piece on the top of the oem column that attaches to the bottom of the guage cluster that pops off and the other side is attached to the little fake leather dust guard. I popped off this and pushed a little hole thru the fake leather so I could run the wires thru and into the back of the column mount. I also had all the plastic below the steering wheel off and the steel plate under the steering wheel so I could access the hole thru the fire wall.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Carson, if you would give us the part number or name of that tool that would be greatly appreciated. The dude who was supposed to by my car on February 1st might go with a SUV instead and that my friend would mean....

Thomas is going to spend more money on that bitchhhh.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Keep it Thomas...you don't really want to sell it, do ya?

Ill get the tool # tomorrow at work, as right now the tool is actually sitting on top of my tool box, as I had to replace a radio, antenna mast and cable on a Jetta friday, and had to use it.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
T10078 or T10087

Is the part number of the tool to remove the pillar trim on side airbag cars. I wrote it down at work, but I forgot to bring it home....its basically a flat piece of metal, bent up slightly on the end, with a hole in the middle close to the end. It is designed to pull out a metal clip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts