VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have a 2001 jetta GLS, auto
Millage: 14K, 2.0L, well maintained.
I tried to start the car last saturday and i cannot. Cannot depress the brake also. Few try, then works again. Start the car, stop, start, everything works fine. No check engine light on.
This only happened once last year, and then once this year.
So what should i do? change the starter? Should I change the oil first? Just 3K since last oil change.
BTW, before this happened, weird noise can be heard when i start the car.
Please help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
You cant depress the brake cuz the car hasn't been started in a while. Once it turns on it should be easily depressed. If you hear a weird noise when trying to start the car, it could be the starter. What does the noise sound like?

No need to change the oil btw. Such low mileage in general

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, VWGLI
Thanks for your reply.
yes, after i turned on, everything works fine and runs smooth.
The sound from a cold start is from the engine with vibration of the car, which makes me nervous.
If the normal sound is like: en~en~en~
the weird sound is like: en ~~~ en ~~~, then en~en~
Hopefully this makes sense to you.
But the funny thing is it never happens if from a not-cold start.
I will try tonight to double check if still happens.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
This hurts to read so much going on.

Well your "powered brakes" work off a vacuum. If the car hasn't started in a while and you have any sort of leak after the check valve then you'll lose your brake pedal till you start it. Or if you use the brakes with the car not running, same thing.

You need way more description in the process of starting it before you start throwing money at fixing the issue. Not starting can be everything from a head gasket coolant hydrolock to forgetting to put the car in park.
Oil wouldnt be an issue for starting the car. If you let it sit for a long time changing oil doesn't hurt (6months)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts