VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, it's a few months away, but around November I might be getting a new Dub. I have 3 different choices right now, I will tell you what they are and the pros and cons I have for all of them and give me any other pros and cons you can thing of.

1. 2003 GTI 1.8T
Pros:
-Already had a GTI so I know the mistakes I have made, so I think I will do the best modding this car.
-Already had one and know I love it.
-Fastest of all my choices.

Cons:
-Kind of want to try something different.

2. 2003 Jetta 1.8T
Pros
-I think I can do a good job modding this too since it's so similar to the GTI mechanically.
-Something different, but still a dub.

Cons:
-Little slower than the GTI.

3. 99 or 00 Audi A4 1.8T
Pros:
-::drooling:: Audi!
-VERY nice interior
-Quattro

Cons:
-Slowest of the bunch.
-Can't get a new one.
-Never modded an Audi.

So I'm sure there are WAY more pros and cons, and I still haven't driven them, but if everyone could give me their 2 cents that would be great!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well the one about the Jetta being slower... I'm not sure how true this is after having both. Here are the specs for both 1.8t

GTI:
Curb Weight: 2932 lbs.
Gross Weight: 3834 lbs.

Jetta GLS:
Curb Weight: 3037 lbs.
Gross Weight: 3989 lbs.

Plain Jetta 1.8t:
Curb Weight: 2974 lbs.
Gross Weight: 3926 lbs.

If you notice, on the plain Jetta 1.8t there is only a 42 lbs diffrence for Curb Weight and a 92 lbs diffrence on Gross Weight and for the GLS there is only a 105lbs diffrence on Curb Weight and a 155lbs diffrence on Gross Weight. I really don't think that the weight diffrence between he two will make a huge diffrence on how much quicker it is. Maybe a .01 sec diffrence.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
But i agree with db, if you can get your hands on a 20th, i would go that way.
jon

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
20th anni, unless you need a 4 door family car for the wife and kids, then you might want a jetta.... get my point

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
you can't go wrong with a 20th!!! u get all the good stuff of the anniversary edition plus u get the easily modded 1.8t!!!

trust me you'll love the 20th! but what bart says is true. if you want to think ahead for the future or you have wife and kids already u should opt for the jetta 1.8t simply b/c it has an extra 2 doors.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
...if you want to think ahead for the future or you have wife and kids already u should opt for the jetta 1.8t simply b/c it has an extra 2 doors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that mean I'm already ready to get hitched? Dang! All I need now is a girlfriend

·
Registered
161 Posts
im sorry but screw the jetta lol. get the GTI or the audi a4 1.8T. GTI's are prolly the best dubs in my own opinion and the A4's, esp. the 1.8T's are awesome.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
if it were me, I would probably get a jetta 1.8t if I were getting married/or having a kid, or 20th anni gti. black magic is HOT. upgrade the turbo, and the necessary internals, and have a kick ass sleeper

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess it's pretty clear what everyone thinks I should get! I will highly consider the 20AE GTI. It might come down the money situation at that point in time. We will see what happens!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I drove both a 2003 Jetta Wolfsburg, and a 20th AE when I was looking to buy last month. Hands down the 20th was way more fun than the Jetta to drive. It's lacking some of the little things like pop up cup holders, and those neat closing vents but, it's way worth it. The 20th is way more fun to drive, and it even has more rer leg room than the jetta. Try and grab one up while they are still around.

[ August 07, 2003: Message edited by: Gti20thAEinDE ]

·
Registered
893 Posts
well now that im at the dealership like everyday i get to look at all the pretty vws!! The 20th's are my favorites so far, but I want an R32!! Ill probably get one, but nothing is written in stone!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
My choice would be 2003 Black Magic GTI 1.8T Anni Edition. Why? So many goodies for that sticker price!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YEP YEP!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love seeing the VR6ers looking to get 1.8T
As for the speed differences both the Jetta and GTI should be comparable. I read a review in Road&Track (although we know what these are worth) they actually found the Jetta to be "faster" because it was more aerodynamically sound
On a side note...it's scary how close November is

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
Well the one about the Jetta being slower... I'm not sure how true this is after having both. Here are the specs for both 1.8t<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend the A4 personaly, because it feels WAY underpowered with the 1.8T. Now, if you could get a 98-99 S4 for around the same price, I would go with that. Strap on some APR goodies and you can be hot flying schnizzle.
However, depending on prices, you might just go with the 20AE, its a safe bet to retain its value better than the rest of us, and has most of the goodies built into it already.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts