VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,

I just found this site, signed up and now I am here. I am planning on aquiring a Series III Jetta while I am home in May. I currently own an Rx-7 and am looking for a more reliable, college car. I have always admired the Mid 90's Jetta and can't wait to buy one. I am a very good mechanic so naturally I want to know a lot about the car before I purchase it. If I could get websites with great information, performance stuff, etc along with some just general tips about buying these cars. Any and all help would be great. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
The Jetta is a solid sedan all around. I know many dubbers that have 100...200K+ miles on some of theirs. If well maintained as in any car it will last you a long time. Most likey if you are looking to get the MK3 version which is 1993 to 1999 you will probably get a 2.0 or VR6. Both are solid engine with lots of potential.

Nothing jumps out as a concern for me. Welcome to VWF!

·
Registered
335 Posts
owning a 2.0 liter is a lot of fun...unless you plan on getting a lot of power out of it. i know there are probably going to be a lot of disagreeing responses to this, but of the three engine choices (1.8T, 2.0, and VR6), i would go with the VR6 whenever given the choice. i only say this because i own and have modified the 2.0L. don't get me wrong: i put 40,000 miles on this car in less than a year, and it runs beautifully. 120,000 total mileage, and still strong. if you are looking for reliability, volkswagen delivers. and then some! but if you are looking for something close to your old car, i encourage you to seek the VR6. either way, vdubs are college-proof. for website info, i find all the addresses i need in Sport Compact Car, Eurotuner, and VW Performance magazines. Barnes & Nobles sells them all.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i would try to stay away from either 93 or 94. redesigned cars are not always the best. i am not saying that they are shti, but from 95 on, they have less problems. but other then that, i would say great choice. very reliable car, and very economical. also welcome to teh forum.

·
Registered
241 Posts
welcome to VWF, Honestly when i looked a a jetta or a golf or GTI i always thought of them as girly cars but when i went to college and met my friend Theo who drives an Mk4 widebody jetta which was featured in Performance VW and he brought me to his shop and showed me mods he had done to Mk2's, Mk3's, Mk4's it completely change me perspective about Vdubbs that i went out and bought one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 95 jetta 2.0 and Im about to put on exhaust and maybe a few other things. Its my first car and have had for about a year and a half. I love it and want to keep it through college. My friends tell me I should get a different car. What they don't understand is once you go dub, you don't go back. Go for the jetta!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dun know, maybe the weather & driving condition over there is much more suited for VW, mine one is a lemon.
The transmission has problem on & off. As I put it on the newest topic, it switches to limp mode (1st gear only) recently. I did changed the gearbox oil 5000k ago, but the problem comes back now. It's very frustrating coz u know u still got long way home, you know? If you guys got any idea, I would be very appreciate to share.

·
Registered
893 Posts
i hope you arent the same guy that claimed to have a rx-7 that was harrasing me earlier today... Welcome to VWF.... and please ignore that first part if you arent that guy... he just really p'd me off!!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Dubs + College = lots of hotties in the passenger seat...or if you read this post(read my reply a little bit down the page), in your back seat!

[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts