VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, there's a whole wack of parts for upgrading suspension system and such for handling.

What's the diference between some of these, or are some of these the same things just named differently:

Strut bar upper/lower?
Sway bar upper/lower?
Tie bar upper/lower?
Control arms

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Here goes nothing....

Strut/Tie bars "tie" your strut towers together. Sway bars go underneath the car to prevent excessive body roll. Control arms are part of the steering system and not suspension (I know they are connected).

I'm sure Thomas will come in here pretty soon to consolidate my ramblings.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
A strut bar goes from the top of your strut towers as stated above. Like this the black bar going across the top

The sway bar connects the a arms underneath ( Sorry no pic)
and the tie rod is part of your steering as also stated above. There are also rear tie bars which go across the rear strut towers. And also rear sway bars which connect the rear suspension to each other. It may sound complicated but hopfully somone will know a better way of explaining it or have some pics of what i mean.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does my 1992 MKII Golf have a stock sway bar for the front/underneath, but none for the rear ?

I'm thinking this front swar bar could use some new bushings or be replaced all together ???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who said I owned a GTI ?

My car is just an ordinary 4 door golf II, 1.8 liter that I've been slowly modifying over the last year or so...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
All post are pretty much correct answers.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Here goes nothing....

Strut/Tie bars "tie" your strut towers together. Sway bars go underneath the car to prevent excessive body roll. Control arms are part of the steering system and not suspension (I know they are connected).

I'm sure Thomas will come in here pretty soon to consolidate my ramblings.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Raf: Only because you made me feel good. LOL
I decided to make a quick drawing. Hope this helps.

Wouldn't want to disappoint ya!

PS: The rear-upper anti-sway bar does exist on race cars only.
Just FYI before you attack me. LOL

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

I decided to make a quick drawing. Hope this helps.

Wouldn't want to disappoint ya!

PS: The rear-upper anti-sway bar does exist on race cars only.
Just FYI before you attack me. LOL

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, thanx man .... that pretty much clears it all up and now I can put this post to rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts