VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2001 vw jetta 1.8t wolfsburg edition (aww code I believe)

ok so I got looks out the way lol...

Now I did some searching on ecu flashing/performance chip i have some pretty close dealers apr, revo, giac (all within an hour or less of driving). First of all I really want it to do gonzotuning but I think there isnt any dealers near me (Im in the southern california area). I wanna go the "just go with the one closest to you" way. My car is a daily driver so that is a plus. Im not into building a performance car but really looking for that extra power in my car.

So Im really considering revo so much that I already did an appointment to get the free 4-5 hour trial. Also what is persuading me to go revo is the sale they are running 20% off all software. The dealer I called is also really helpful had a nice chat, and there yelp reviews are really great indeed.

I also called an apr dealer but they want to charge $50 for the trial but if I decide to go with them it will be discounted towards the full price of the software. what the heck i might drop the $50 just to try it out i guess.

So guys any experience with revo stage 1? or any stage?
Other tuners I should consider?

Also my CEL is on so ran a scan and threw codes p1296 and p0420. Any help with that i have to fix b4 I can run the trial? So the revo dealer I called was so helpful that they said just bring the car in even if it is running a CEL will scan it and help you out with that free of charge :) idk but they are winning me over lol and the apr dealer wants me to get rid of them first and then give them a call idk but that aint good customer service lol

so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
do not go with APR. its a really underpowered tune. everyone who gets it tends to reflash to unitronics or giac. i dont hear anything bad about revo. but unitronic stage 2 and giac x+ are probably the most powerful stage 2 tunes out there. i would go with one of those. i have unitronic stage 1+ and hit 20lbs. i dont have a tbe. but with a tbe and stage 2, i would spike around 24lbs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might consider giac now that they have a winter sale too haha I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they offer a free tria I wonder how much theyre tune runs for??

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nvr heard of united will look into it

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you have a high flow cat at all? If so, that's probably where your P0420 code comes from. I had it pop up after my turbo back install (3" from 42DD). Stage 2 tune fixed that problem.

I have Unitronic Stage 2 and I really like it. Really smooth tune.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
maestro you can basically tune switch anytime you want.
They also have programs to set off a v-tec like effect that lengthens your powerband using a cam adjuster that is normally used during cold start only. It controls the exhaust valves.

They also have launch control and you are never going to be forced to buy off the shelf stuff. You can buy and make whatever you want and tune perfectly for it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dam out of all the researching I've done nvr really came across Maestro but you guys really support it...
But will they run winter specials??lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have a high flow cat at all? If so, that's probably where your P0420 code comes from. I had it pop up after my turbo back install (3" from 42DD). Stage 2 tune fixed that problem.

I have Unitronic Stage 2 and I really like it. Really smooth tune.
To be honest Idk dude...
You think you can school me on it??
The only thing I can assure you is haven't had a problem passing smog/emissions test here in southern California...

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
If its a two part long cat it's oem. If its short and one part it's aftermarket.

Maestro is quite expensive. 300$ over any other tuning company, but for good reason.

·
Registered
322 Posts
To be honest Idk dude...
You think you can school me on it??
The only thing I can assure you is haven't had a problem passing smog/emissions test here in southern California...
Hey now, not all of us are dudes around here ;)

If you can pass smog in CA, you probably don't have a high flow.

·
Registered
981 Posts
maestro you can basically tune switch anytime you want.
They also have programs to set off a v-tec like effect that lengthens your powerband using a cam adjuster that is normally used during cold start only. It controls the exhaust valves.

They also have launch control and you are never going to be forced to buy off the shelf stuff. You can buy and make whatever you want and tune perfectly for it.
What you are referring to is VVT. Its allows control over the oil pressure driven cam chain tensioner to allow the intake cam to advance/retard while being directly controlled by the ecu.

Im running a gtx2867r and it makes the tune night and day. VVT ALL THE WAY!. makes the turbospool feel like a k04.

Reguardless, you dong NEED to switch tunes from the cruise stalk or even concer that with Throttle body alignments. Its just a sales gimic that you really never use. Honestly, who will get into a stock looking mkiv (such as mine) and think its fast!??! bahaha. Who is gonna let a valet kid even remotely close to driving it? certainly not me:cool::pimp:

Maestro allows you do to TBA and check and clear codes whenever you want.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If its a two part long cat it's oem. If its short and one part it's aftermarket.

Maestro is quite expensive. 300$ over any other tuning company, but for good reason.
yeah kinda true but I really want to save some money maybe maestro will not be in my plans thanks for the opinions tho

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey now, not all of us are dudes around here ;)

If you can pass smog in CA, you probably don't have a high flow.
oh dam sorry lol
yeah thats what I was thinking and that other day I scanned the car I cleared the codes. So I performed a scan once the CEL came back and this issue is now gone only the other code came back.
thanks tho :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok guys thanks alot for all the help so this is the situation on $$$

Revo stg 1 - $320 flat no extra fees nothing nada lol...
Revo stg 2 - $380 flat same situation (but dnt know if im going to need extra mods to run it)

GIAC x+ - $405 for the software plus $80 for labor reasonable?

unitronic stg 1 - $450 for software with the winter sale going on but idk yet if they will charge for labor plus they nearest dealer is like more than an hour away

really considering revo stg 2 but I dnt know what will I need and dnt know the power gains neither and dnt know if I need stg 1 first too

1 - 20 of 54 Posts