VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of confusion!

It's all about 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8T

inner tie rod boot is damaged. It's still there but not as new. Grease is still there.

passenger side front lower control arm bushing is damaged. needs to be replaced.

brake pads on all 4 wheels are almost done! time to replace. its been at least 4yrs since I changed pads.

now the problem is -- the car does not drive as smooth and quiet as possible! well its > 10yrs old so am not expecting it to be as NEW !

I have brake lights (orange color) on my dashboard. I hope this is tied up to my brake pads?

this is my question. am thinking of changing all the front control arm bushing, brake pads.

Should I change inner tie rods & boot ? I don't see anything broken than the boot itself! so should I still change? how do I check if it needs replacement?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes replace all the bushings at once, brake pad light is tied in with the brake pads being ready to be changed, and as far as the tie rod I would go ahead and replace it but it's up to you

a way to test if the tie rod is bad is jack the car up and place your hands at the 3 and 9 position on the wheel and try to push it back and forth if there's any wiggling then the tie rod's need to be replaced

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Skimmer.

yes, I'll change all the front bushing and all 4 brake pads.

I've ordered for inner tie rods, but I can check if they needs to be replaced. I mean why replace if its working fine? I'll check for sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Skimmer.

I've ordered for inner tie rods, but I can check if they needs to be replaced. I mean why replace if its working fine? I'll check for sure.
no problem, are you doing it yourself or are you going to get it done by a shop?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks Skimmer.

If it's going to be torn down anyway, you might as well replace some of that stuff.
It might not need to be replaced today, but it will at some point.
I'd do tie-rods, as well as all the little pieces.
Something like this:
Volkswagen Jetta IV 1.8T Suspension Refresh Kits ES#259954 Suspension Refresh Kit - Stage 3 - 1J0498012

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skimmer -- am having someone do it in his garage.

am definitely not changing the control arm itself. only the bushing will do. I did see the control bushing damaged. So am going to have them all 4 changed.

Its just that outer tie rods looks good to me! and I don't really see any wriggling. so i don't really wanna change them. tie rod boot is bad but must change? I don't know. the boot itself shouldn't cost more than 5bucks a piece? but worth the installation? I don't know.

one thing I know is that.. this is a 2000 Jetta. '2000'
if I start fixing things. its never gonna end.
just want to have a smooth drive as much as possible! and more imp be safe. :))

oh by the way.. the MPG is not great.. just about 15-16 in city and about 24 in highway. so frankly don't wanna empty my wallet :))

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
started working on Jetta.

Got all 4 brake pads replaced. the rear brake caliper gave up and had to buy one from retail store :(

sometime next week will get the control arm bushings replaced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Im having guy change my control arm bushings today. He checked everything underneath and said tie rods/boots were still good and dont need to replace. I kind of wish I would have made plans for him to replace them anyhow cause down the road here I go again! big ben/ parliment. lol you
know what Im saying?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts