VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coolant leak that started small but is now giving me "STOP" once a week. I do not have the money to purchase the complete cooling system overhaul right now so I am looking for suggestions on where to start. From what I have read this is what I should replace first. I've added a picture of the dried coolant. Thanks for the help in advance!

I am thinking I should start with the water pipe kit from ECS, it includes:

Thermostat - 80°C
Sealing O-Ring - Priced Each
Thermostat O-Ring
Coolant Pipe "Crack Pipe"
Thermostat Cover
Thermostat Housing
Sensor Retaining Clip - Priced Each
Thermostat Housing O-Ring

Since its cheap enough, should I get a new coolant temp sensor as well?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant tell where that pipe is. further away shot please?
I'll try to get a shot tonight, this was from last week when I pulled the battery out and removed the engine cover trying to get an idea of where the leak was coming from.

I can tell you that the top arrow is left of the coolant flange plug on the thermostat housing. I am not sure which hose the right arrow is pointing to, it just looked like the coolant was dripping down as there were signs on top of that hose. All of this is under the intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
That right there would be the "thermostat housing"

You hit the nail on the head with your first post. Buy that kit and all should be well for a good long time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That right there would be the "thermostat housing"

You hit the nail on the head with your first post. Buy that kit and all should be well for a good long time.
Thanks Shameless! Is it necessary to change out my coolant temp sensor as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts