VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem with my coolant the last 5 or 6 months. I have added coolant 3 or 4 times in the past few months. Now, Im wondering if this could be a slow leak? should I have the vw dealership take a look at it, or another vw shop (local non-dealership)? I want to take care of the problem, and dont want to spend a lot here. thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Well snce your warranty is probably over I would go to a non dealer VW shop. Otherwise you will get charged an arm and a leg. I would day it deifnitely sound like a slow leak though.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Put down a large sheet of white paper or cardboard where you park. If it gets wet and the spots are neony, it'a probably a coolant leak.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help guys. I will give the cardboard a shot, then set up an appointment. thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow is it that time of year??? I have been adding about a cup of coolant about every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks. The Coolant warning sound and light come on. The light blinks about a minute, sometimes longer. Is that because the coolant heats, expands then stops the sensor, or is it just a timed warning light?
I'm gonna take it into my service shop (NOT the Dealer), i'll post what he finds.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wow is it that time of year??? I have been adding about a cup of coolant about every 2-3 days for a couple of weeks. The Coolant warning sound and light come on. The light blinks about a minute, sometimes longer. Is that because the coolant heats, expands then stops the sensor, or is it just a timed warning light?
I'm gonna take it into my service shop (NOT the Dealer), i'll post what he finds.
Probably the water pump.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think the best thing you can do is take it to the Dealer. probably the problem is on the water pump , it is extremely rare for a water pump to leak.

I don't think it's that rare.
It's happening on mine right now.
It could also be a coolant hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found the water pump leaking (seeping) and running down to the crank and evaporating. Only a residue is left under the timing cover. It may or may not leak out to the floor. I pulled the Waterpump ,replaced the o-ring and sealed with rtv silicone. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
It could likely be your resevoir twist cap. They are famous for loosing seal over time and compromising the necessary pressure needed. They leak very slow and often the water leaving is condensation and goes unnoticed.

It should be the first thing you check, Inspect in for dry rot, chips, and damage. A generic replacement at autozone is about 6 bucks. If there is anything other than a pristine new cap under your hood -replace it.

Next check all the hose fittings -especially the T couplers and anywhere there is a union, flange, or nipple.

You could also have a slow leak out the o-rings of your temp/fan switch/and sender sensors. Thats an easy fix too.

Check all of this before going off half cocked on a water pump, radiator, or heater core leak hunt. Which is a pain in the ass.

Definitely put some D or E sized white paper under you car overnight.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts