VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, First of all hello all. about two week back I was smelling radiator fluid from my engine bay. I took a look and I noticed a small amount of fluid on the reservoir and just below a wet spot. So since my vehicle is still under warranty I took it to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic and an examination and this and that. I was like just fix it.

Well after 10 hours I received a call saying my baby was ready and I was told that the water pump was changed, the overflow radiator reservoir was changed, and a few more things, I don’t have my work order summary with me at the moment.

Well to get to the point, I still smelt radiator fluid and I checked my engine bay and nothing I do not visually see anything, but I could smell it. I called and spoke with the dealerships service rep, and he stated that, "it’s just the spillage form the work that was preformed, it should go away soon."

Well it still hasn't, my car is running at its normal operating temp, but I still smell radiator fluid.

Am I being paranoid? Does this fluid smell linger until its cleaned?

Any suggestions? Like always thank you all for taking the time to read this and all and every comment, suggestion, and opinion is greatly appreciated.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
If its not leaking anymore I would not worry too much. I know j just replaced my coolant neck about 2 weeks ago and I can still smell coolant that was spilled. You could wash off the engine a little to see if that helps.
Also how many miles is on your car? Hope I'm not due for a waterpump yet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only has 64K. what would be the best way of washing the engine? cover the alternator and any other electrical componant and spray gunk remover and go to town with a hose?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I use a chemical degreaser and a hose. keep the car running. when your done spray it down with armorall and wipe off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts