VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

On my 1999 Golf Mk4 the coolant temperature warning light beeps on starting the engine, and then flashes for 30 seconds before turning off. This only happens when the engine is started (not key inserted) and only on the first start of the day. For the rest of the day it doesn't happen.

It is the indicator that is red, looks like a thermometer in water. (top left warning).

My coolant is only a year old (changed with new thermostat a year ago), level is fine, temperature is working fine (heats up to middle of gauge and stays there).

Anyone able to interpret this for me? I don't have an owners manual as it's an import.

Oh, the temperature here is not freezing.. it is getting cold with it being winter, but all last winter this didn't happen with the temp well below freezing,

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
checking in owners manual

Anyone mind having a look in the owners manual and seeing if this alert is described?

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

On my 1999 Golf Mk4 the coolant temperature warning light beeps on starting the engine, and then flashes for 30 seconds before turning off. This only happens when the engine is started (not key inserted) and only on the first start of the day. For the rest of the day it doesn't happen.

It is the indicator that is red, looks like a thermometer in water. (top left warning).

My coolant is only a year old (changed with new thermostat a year ago), level is fine, temperature is working fine (heats up to middle of gauge and stays there).

Anyone able to interpret this for me? I don't have an owners manual as it's an import.

Oh, the temperature here is not freezing.. it is getting cold with it being winter, but all last winter this didn't happen with the temp well below freezing,

Cheers
[threadjack] I've got a 2002 Beetle that does the same thing. Unfortunately I'm clueless as well. [/threadjack]

·
Registered
828 Posts
What color temp sensor do you have? Is it the black top or the green top?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 Jetta 2.0L that does something like this.
I did a coolant flush two months ago (when I bought the car)

The overheat light will come on and stay on between 1-5 minutes. This started a week or so ago.
The temp gauge shows it at 90. I have checked my coolant and I am not losing any.

The weird thing is, it seems to only happen when I stop and start the car several times, if I am shopping around town.

·
Registered
278 Posts
did you use the correct coolant? some coolant will corrode the sensors and give false readings, thats why you have to use VW recommended coolant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine used to do this and i unplugged the coolant sensor cleaned it up a bit then plugged it back in and now the light only comes on when its time for me to put more coolant in because im too lazy to find/fix the tiny leak that is in there some where

·
Registered
3 Posts
i looked up this temp light issue on a TSB and it says the coolant reservoir could be leaking into the wiring harness causing the temp light to go off and youd have to replace the harness the sensor the reservoir amoung many other things. if you have a friend in the industry get him to print up the TSB for you.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
check what color temp sensor.
if its black change to green

clean the termiinals.
what coolant is in it.. hes right.. g12 only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts