VW Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

By Nick Dasko

I remember the first time I ever saw a Volkswagen Corrado. It was parked near UofT in Toronto and I was walking with my dad and brother. This would have been around 2000. I just had to stare at this amazing red wedge parked on the street. I couldn't believe how amazing this car was. I knew I had to have one.

A few years later I was now in my very late teens, living in the suburbs of San Diego and in need of a car. It had to be a Corrado. I did my research, watched the old Top Gear videos and learned about the hard to find Canadian-spec leather recaros, 95 model-year only- airbags and knew I wanted the VR6.

But alas, the one I wanted was sold out from under me and all the others in my budget were trashed and thrashed.

I know Corrados are prone to electrical issues. The spoilers tend to fail, the sunroofs fail, the hood latch cable snaps, and the engine mounts tend to wear out ever four years. BUT THEY ARE SO COOL!

But now the 94 model year cars are twenty years old. Plastics get brittle, steel gets rusty and values are on the rise. As these cars age, and gas prices start to climb, they start to make less and less sense as a daily driver.

How often do I want to have to call people explaining I am running late because a heater core blew, or the car won't start, or I can't legally drive it because there is a problem in the wiring and now the lights don't work.

I fear the Corrado can now only be a second car, and if that is the case, then I am still years away from buying one. Please tell me I am wrong and that these still make great, inexpensive daily drivers!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.