VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new ko3s last winter. It did not have bolts to control the wastegate so I ended up putting them on myself. I have been reading about the cranked wastegate mod and think it is ridiculous and a good way to kill your turbo. Saying that, I want to make sure my turbo is not "cranked" as it is.

When the flap is closed, it builds boost. So if you start with the flap completely closed, is it considered cranking it? or is it when the flap is partially open?

I have it set to the flap closed when the car is off. Is it cranked? Does anyone know where it should be?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh right... just remembered. Im gunna look through my old threads. I was just sitting here thinking that I might not have set it correctly and hadnt remembered you took that pic.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
FOUND IT! I think i did set it right.

So it is supposed to be completely closed then right? It should not be set where it is partially open?

Basically what Im asking is a cranked waste gate when its open or when its set completely closed?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
open = no or less boost. Closed = building boost.

A wastegate diverts exhaust gasses away from the turbine so there is less force spinning it. A stuck open wastegate will never spin a turbo fast enough to give you "forced induction"

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see now. Im gunna have to check and make sure its set where it should be. hopefully i havent been running it cranked. I doubt it. i boost slightly less than i did with the other ko3. (18-19 lbs, used to boost 20)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts