VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
ive heard so far the first step in improving horsepower is to upgrade intake and exhaust. first off....how do you know what parts will work together? how do i know what muffler and headers will improve preformance? i cant just get bigger exhaust, and bigger intake, stick them on and go driving around can i? dosent the computer need changing, and the air fuel mixture, and a bunch of other stuff? could improving intake/exhaust even be done for under 1000 dollars?
HELP! i want to go faaaaassteeeeeeeeeeeerrr.

·
Registered
526 Posts
for intake...keep ur box and put a k&n in it ($40) for exhaust get the tri y headers, high flow cat, and straight thourgh to whatever muffler u want(dual dtm seems to be very popular) and for that id say about 600 maybe...and is your car digifant 2?if so you shoudl get a csw chip. that will control it all

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
you dont have to upgrade the ecu if you dont want. both intake and exaust are "bolt-on" depending on what exhaust you get (and intake), it could be between 500-800 probably. good luck.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
yeah when i owned my 92 golf i dropped a k/n panel filter in it and swiss cheesed the air box. i also had a custom exhuast made with 2 1/4" piping and a dual dtm muffler on it. i also had a short shift kit and a set of good plug wires. it ran great with these upgrades and it wasn't terribly expensive. hope that helps a little

·
Registered
131 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
dosent the computer need changing
any computer is smart enough to change, just takes a little time for it to be perfect. chip will help.

Zak

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Yeah i agree with what was said. But also you could get a abd big bore intake tube along with the k&n filter. I don't think that a header is really needed. I think that a stock dual outlit manifold from either a 8v gti or i think most jettaa came with them. They work just as good. And a techtonics exhaust is a good choice. It'll give you good power without a real obnoxious sound. And they're reasonably priced. Good luck and keep us posted. But those aren't gonna do a whole lot for power. A little. But if you want real power open up the engine and do some internal work. That's where th power will come from.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
everyone has said some really good stuff. personally, i dont know if it makes a big difference or how much they cost, but a CAI might help. i dont know much about engines, but i know the colder the air, the better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, I make air intakes. Best quality. 3 inch Mandrel bent lightweigth steel powder-coated any color you want. Best price too. No one beats my price.

Let me know if your interested.

[email protected]

Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts