VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wolfsburg is track bound this summer and i wanna play with the ecu and get myself some extra power. has anyone here tuned their own 1.8t? all i read about are people getting it done, nobody doing it themselves. i wanna have the availability to do it myself so i can set it, drive to the track, go through the day and turn the boost back down for the trip home. plus it's one more thing i don't have to crawl under the car to do since i got my bum ankle :(

PS here's that cheap chinese exhaust i was talking about.anyone know where i can get a SHORT and cheap 3" cat?

downpipe and cooper [for a little dog he's an emmer effin GEE]

test pipe? gonna cut between the flange and o2 bung and put a slip fit cat in there.

front muffler

here's a shot of a bunch of welds, just so you can see that the work is actually pretty decent.

sorry about the pics, taken with the laptop.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
A lot of people tune their own cars. Its a lot of trial and error and probably a few burned ecu's. Nefmoto is a good site to lurk on. That's how a lot of tuners start. I don't recommend doing it yourself unless you have an extra ecu. Plus unless you have access to a dyno you wont know if your making power. You could tune it to just throw big boost spikes and result in no power gains.
Exhaust doesn't look bad but I will tell you that that stainless is super thin and is prone to cracking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:K:
thanks a lot for the info really appreciate it. i don't wanna pay up for something i'll want to change every few weeks. this wolfsburg is my first vw (and FF) so i'm just tweaking this and that seeing how i like it. the engine's got a lot of miles on it so i'm not gonna go too crazy. once my money's right again i'm either getting a 2000-something quattro or tracking down an AWP and trans in good shape...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Which company makes it? I see a few cheapo exhausts on ebay. It looks like an OBX exhaust. I had their header for a little while, bit wasn't bad. I could feel improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts