VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So driving on the highway my car died. It would crank but not start. Got it towed.

This is what I have done to test.

1. Swap ECUs. The car should start for a second and shut off because the car doesnt match with the ECU. Still just crank and no start.

2. Fuel pump still primes when I open the door. I also hear a weird air leaking noise when I reconnect the battery, but I think it comes from the fuel pressure regulator (which I think is normal).

3. Checked for current at the ecu wires, wasn't sure what to look for but it was getting numbers.

4. Battery had 12.1 volts running through it (Haynes said 12.5 but is that really much of a difference?

5. Checked spark plugs for spark. Pretty sure we did it right, but there was still no spark. We tried multiple times.

6. Scan car, get code P01314 twice (ECM error).

7. Try to clear codes, says Comm error.

Why am I not getting spark? and why is the ECU error occurring, because we tested with a new ecu, and there was still no start, not even for a second like there should be.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
try crankshaft position sensor.

mine did the exact same crap.. then finally would start after i screwed with it for hours and hours and hours.. itd hit running temp.. more like struggle to hit running temp.. and die. and would then again crank but no start for ever.. until it cooled down.. and i jumped this or that, so on n so forth. popped in a new sensor.. and everything was peachy.

do you have any cels? put the original ecu back in, unless the new one is immobilize defeated.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No CELs. Ill put the original back in. When I look for codes I only get p01314 which is the ecu. Then when I try to clear it says Comm. Error. But definitely going to try forest the crankshafts platoon sensor when i get home. Vortex has been saying the same thing.

Only difference between our problems is its been off for days and still wont start. But I'm hoping it still is the crankshafts position sensor.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
also i should add.

my crankshaft position sensor code didnt show itself for a long long long time. it just cranked and cranked and cranked with no fire. it was a few days of trying and messing with different things before it finally decided to pop the cel and want me to help it out. i guess they just take awhile to quit their temper tantrums before asking for help.. HA

·
Registered
128 Posts
also i should add.

my crankshaft position sensor code didnt show itself for a long long long time. it just cranked and cranked and cranked with no fire. it was a few days of trying and messing with different things before it finally decided to pop the cel and want me to help it out. i guess they just take awhile to quit their temper tantrums before asking for help.. HA
I remember having to deal with this. Such a PITA problem to deal with as there's no hint to the problem until the light finally pops.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i checked both the camshaft and crankshaft (engine speed sensor) and both passed all of the tests with the multimeter that the haynes manual provided.

im gunna call the dealer, see if they can check my key, and then MAYBE check my ecu. Im a little nervous to give them my ecu...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
needless to say, f*ck the dealer. useless like usual.

i am not getting power to fuses 34 and 43, which control power to the ecm. the fuses are good (checked for continuity and they look fine).

So then we checked relay 428, which controls power to the ecu. we took it out and gave it power, and it clicks everytime, signalling that it works. Yet there is no power getting to relay 428 when plugged in.

I guess that makes my question: Where is relay 428 in the grand scheme of things?

Is it:
Battery to relay to fuse to ignition to ecu? Or something like that?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PROBLEM SOLVED.

The radio and convenience fuse, fuse 37, was popped. Replaced, and the pig started up. Funny thing is I pulled it out at random, it fell on the floor, and looked broken.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What luck haha
right?! We wouldve eventually gotten to it, but it saved a bunch of time.

Wonder what caused it to pop.
Exactly what I'm wondering. maybe it could be old? No idea, but I got a box of fuses and I'm carrying an extra 20a fuse just in case. I beat on her tonight and it hasn't popped yet. Driving to the beach tomorrow, 1.5 hours away so we'll see.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the car blows the fuse everytime it cranks. Any advice on where I should look for shorts? Or any ideas on anything is apprdciated

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do your interior lights work. Can you pop the trunk. Does your key fob work.
Replace the fuse and see if all your electric shit works in the car as far as windows, trunk, lights etc.

This is for the passat but it might be in the same place. How to Repair the Comfort Control Module (CCM) for the Volkswagen Passat | Nathan and Kathy's Blog

If the grounds here are messed up you'll blow that convenience fuse.
If there are no bad grounds you might have to replace the module.
Put a new fuse in today and she started up, idles, revs, everything.

Interior lights work, trunk, instrument cluster, etc.

scanned for codes, I get the ECM code.

Thanks for the link, im gunna look into this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts