VW Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Weird as hell! That should not happen! Something seriously messed up either after it left the factory or at conception level...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I probably messed stuff up after driving in the rain with no bellypans

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
PROBLEM SOLVED.

I looked up "radio cluster 86s" because fuse 37 connects to it. Found people with the same problem who would blow fuse 37. They all said their coilpacks were shorting out. I remembered my vacuum resevoir was not bolted down. I also noticed my car would pop the fuse going over bumps. Tested car with a fuse, popped. Put in another fuse, moved resevoir out of the way, starts right up. A spark was noticable too when the resevoir was sitting on top of the coilpacks. Thankfully this was a simple electrical problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED.

I looked up "radio cluster 86s" because fuse 37 connects to it. Found people with the same problem who would blow fuse 37. They all said their coilpacks were shorting out. I remembered my vacuum resevoir was not bolted down. I also noticed my car would pop the fuse going over bumps. Tested car with a fuse, popped. Put in another fuse, moved resevoir out of the way, starts right up. A spark was noticable too when the resevoir was sitting on top of the coilpacks. Thankfully this was a simple electrical problem.
So it was after it left the factory... :)

Is the vacuum reservoir not connected to only by rubber tubes? Where was it grounding to?

Nice troubleshooting by the way!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thanks, it was supposed to be mounted down by bolts. i guessed on the bolt size, they were right. I mounted it down to the valve cover and no more problems!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yeah, the coilpacks. coilpacks shorting has been found to blow fuse 37 for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2008 VW Beetle
2 Posts
All I know is thank you for the help I found on this blog! I had a bad fuel pump relay replaced it and got power to fuel pump but engine would not start. Fuel pressure was fine but I replaced fuel filter anyway. Replaced crankshaft sensor still would not start. Read blog about fuse 37 and it was blown. Replaced 10 amp fuse and engine started up. Weird! Again thanks for the information.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts