VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2003 Jetta with the 2.0 motor from a friend who believed the motor was knocking in the bottom end. Come to find out that a small bolt had gotten itself inside the timing belt compartment. To say the least the crankshaft gear is all torn up and must be replaced. Now my problem is that I cannot for the life of me get the bolt out to remove it. Any suggestions? I've tried putting a breaker bar on it and turning over the engine to no avail. I'd really like to get the car back on the road ASAP. Thanks for any helpful info.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Spray the hell out of it with PB Blaster and let it sit for a while. If that doesn't work, you can try to heat it up with a propane torch. They're cheap at home depot.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Quick hits with a high powered impact gun. Go to Lowe's or Sears and buy the most powerful one. Use it and then return it .

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
step1 got to advanced auto
step2 buy this

step 3 spray bolt and let sit for 30 sec repeat at least 3 times (to get the bolts temperature under 0 degrees)
step 4 while continuing spray use GOOD impact to remove bolt

i would highly advise against heating up your crankshaft as it can warp the metal id feel alot safer using said product. its designed for stuff like this
its worked all the time every time when i needed something to get a bolt loose where the use of fire is inconvenient or unsafe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now how do I get the gear off of there? I'm assuming it needs to be pulled with a puller, any certain kind?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for all the questions guys. I thought my new gear came with the bolt, but it did not. Can I buy one at an auto parts store or need to get from VW?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts