VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Golf had an issue with the moon-roof switch that started like this:
First it didn't like closing from the fully retracted position without 'bumping' the switch. Second, after a season, it wouldn't open or close at all. Third, I tried to dismantle and clean the switch contacts to no avail. Fourth, wait two years and purchase a used one on Ebay.

Now, the glass vents just fine. When I attempt to retract the glass to open it fully, it settles down in the back, but there is a clicking noise and the motor cannot pull the glass rearward even though you can hear it trying. It sounds like it is hung on something and when you stand outside of the car and activate it, it does lower a bit with a squeak and stops....any ideas? Anyone have a diagram of the parts in there?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
There is some grease for that. Take it over to audio express on Capitol. They will get you hooked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
there are a lot of small pieces in the track if any of them are out of alignment the u will get that. i just use the hand crank method.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is a u-shaped metal bar that stays aligned in some really weak plastic clips on either side of the moonroof - if the clips are broken, the metal bar doesn't stay seated and the moonroof gets stuck. In this situation, the handcrank won't even work. Find a way to look at the moonroof tracks while its opening and closing to see what the metal bar is doing. A month ago a clip on one of my golfs broke and I couldn't close it cause it was getting caught on the metal piece, I took some pliers and bent the metal rod so it could close again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts