VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Put the DSG in "D" and it behaves just like a regular automatic for the most part except that at a stop the car goes into neutral. When you start to ease off the brake, the clutch will smoothly engage just like a manual transmission." VWvortex about the new DSG transmission.
The reason i say crazy, is because 2 years ago, when i was 16, i was telling my parents, my brothers and friends that when i got older, i was going to design an automatic transmission that went into neutral when you stopped, and when the brake was released, the clutch would reengage. the reason i thoght of this, is becuase when i drove my mom's car, i would start to let off the brake, and it would roll. i hated that. man, i need to keep my ideas to myself from now on. DAMNIT! i could be rich!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Timmay...

That transmission was designed over 10 years ago, though.

It was used in the RALLY cars by AUDI.

Back then it was way to bloody expensive to even think about putting it onto a production car.

Well.... things change don't they?

·
Registered
499 Posts
didn't subaru have a feature like that for they're cars. It was for the manuals though. When you stop on a slope, you can let your foot off the brake and the car wouldn't role backwards. Very cool if you ask me!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
now that engine is pritty crazy, wonder how they do it?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh well. it was a good idea and i thought i was cool cuz i was 16 and never heard of it. gotta give me props for htat one! but, that is a crazy engine!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimmayGTi:
oh well. it was a good idea and i thought i was cool cuz i was 16 and never heard of it. gotta give me props for htat one! but, that is a crazy engine!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Timmay, please don't get me wrong LOL.

You are cool in all aspects dude. And you are a genius for thinking of DSG without even knowing it existed. I didn't think of it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks TF. i try to think outside of that damn box. sometimes it works. othertimes, it blows up in my face!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The engine that shuts off when you stop is a hybrid gas/electric.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The car that shuts off at the stop light is not a hybrid...

Its technology that is being considered for all cars by the EPA.. Basicall, its a bigger battery and a new kind of starter that is connected to the accelerator linkage, so that when the car is turned on, you just push the gas and it comes to life. It is supposed to reduce smog production in rush hour traffic by as much as 40%, not to mention the gas it saves. My only concern is nobody is saying anything about how much lag there is between you hitting the pedal and the car actually moving. And I don't think it will work with a manual tranny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts