VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be picking up some more wheels soon that have curb rash on two of them. All of the diy articles I have looked at use jb weld, quick weld, or something similar. I am worried that this stuff will just pop off when tires are remounted or while driving. What other route can I go to repair the rash? I will be powdercoating or painting the wheels.

Would love some feedback from anyone on here that has done a wheel refinish as to how that stuff has held up.

·
Registered
981 Posts
All of the diy articles I have looked at use jb weld, quick weld, or something similar. I am worried that this stuff will just pop off when tires are remounted or while driving. What other route can I go to repair the rash?
Fill em with weld and grind/sand it out:p

·
4,054 Posts
It's fine as long as you don't use a good amount of the lips of the wheels. I know first hand about that mistake.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are not polished. It is another set of Turbo Twists so I can run a square set of 9s. I would feel nervous about welding them since I am not 100% sure what type of metal they are. I would assume they are an alloy. How many people have had the jb weld pop out during tire install?

·
4,054 Posts
Use quicksteel. It's stronger. Won't pop out.
It depends on how much your using it on and how it's prepared. When I used quicksteel it popped off, but after redoing it and carefully mounting the tire it was fine.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Agree. It can't be too deep. Also you want to really rough up the spot being repaired. Scuff it good with some 40 or 80 grit. They make aluminum brazing rods specifically for aluminum wheel repairs. It's pricey but is the best way beside welding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts