VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to autotech and they only have headers for the A1 and A2. That was the intake manifold you gave me the picture of, which is a little out of my price range. I am going to call up the place I am getting it done at and ask them about it. Also if I do not go with EVERYTHING, what do you think about doing everything but the headers? Would that be stupid because the headers stock exhaust manifold would act as sort of a bottleneck?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The reason why you don't see a lot of MK4 headers is -- that -- MK4 headers are almost perfect (Length wise). I know... VW did good on that one.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I have an exhaust question. I was thinking today about getting a new custom exhaust, I'm nto just talking about a cat-back, I'm talking block to tip, all custom. This would include 2.5" pipes, high flow cat, and performance resonater (maybe no resonator, does anyone know if this would make it much louder?). Anyone have any opinions on this? Anyone done this to their car? I think it would be a good horsepower gain because then I wouldn't have ANY factory parts restricting my exhaust. If a cat-back system can give you 5-10 hp, this must be quite a bit greater than that.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
It definitly would be louder and would add a few more ponies. My brother just did headers to tips install on his Suby and it changed the overall sound of the car plus added HP. Just a heads up to do this on your MK4 will not be cheap. My guess would be $1800 + install. I've seen a few different headers you can get. My favorite so far has been Schrick.

http://www.autotech.com/

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
DB, is right (again...
)

I never seen a setup for MK4 or MK3 cheaper then 1200 US. 0.02 Canadian Cents.

This will def. add ponnies and since the length (for best performance) of each header pipe will be exactly same length (as twisted as the seem) the airflow is better, thus pushing more ponnies for ya!

Labor intensive mod, but a good one.

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
The reason why you don't see a lot of MK4 headers is -- that -- MK4 headers are almost perfect (Length wise). I know... VW did good on that one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree too. VW did a great design on that end and would pretty much a waste of money. The only real thing to expect from the headers would be a little hp on the top-end and a larger loss of torque on the low-end

1 - 6 of 6 Posts