VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to ny to have my trial for apr chip put on and they told me that a few codes came up Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected,Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected,Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected.They cleared them then i went around the block to see if they would come back at all. They scaned my car and no codes.Could these codes be from the coilpack. I got the coilpack replace like a month ago do u guys think they didn't reset the ecu and that why the codes where still there? And by the way the chip is great. The car pulls like crazy now. Defentaly going to buy it. I own 03 gti 1.8t

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
If you had the coilpack recall done, you shouldn't have any more coil related issues. Just make sure you always put in 93 octane gas from a good gas station, and you shouldn't have a problem.

And those codes still being there after the recall isn't uncommon...us techs only get paid .4 for the recall, and they don't pay us to scan it unless the Check Engine light is on. So pretty much they brought your car in, slapped 4 new coil packs in there, and pulled it back out.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it always ran perfect so. I called up the dealership up and they said they reset it when i sent it in for the recall but i beat there just covering there ass.
Are those the right codes for a coilpack going bad? How would i check the compersion?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I got those same codes one morning when it was pretty cold and I didn't let the car warm up. I asked the tech,and he siad that it will do that sometimes? It hasn't happened since, so who knows?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Get used to the car throwing misfire codes...mine does it all the time. As long as it doesn't affect driving, just erase the code and be on your way....it doesn't affect anything.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never abuse my baby in any way. Never redline,Always let it warm up and cool down. So i guess vws are notirous for thorwing codes huh?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I didn't read that your car is soooo new.

However if you race it and redline it, the valve lifters will fail, doesn't matter how new.

PS: Remember the M3 we worked on? I posted some pics a while back. We needed to replace valve lifters as cylinder 5 and 6 was misfiring. Owner admited redlining it on the track.

[ February 26, 2004: Message edited by: TF242 ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts