VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Folks -

What an exciting week it's been here in Clifton, New Jersey!! (this might be a bit long, sorry)

I own a '98 B5 Passat GLS, 1.8, 5-sp manual, approx 65K on the odometer. I purchased the car used from a local dealer along with an EXTENDED WARRANTY at the time.

I was having some steering problems.. basically difficulty steering with loud "moaning" sounds. I took my car to Gensinger VW (on Rte. 46 in Clifton) who explained that I need a whole new steering assembly!! (new pump, tierods, etc.)

According to the Dealer... It seems the entire system is encased in a riveted unit which cannot be taken apart to have individual components serviced. If any PART of the system fails, the entire thing needs to be replaced.

Gensinger told me they would contact my Warranty company ("Guardian") to confirm that I was still covered - which I THOUGHT I was.

When I picked up my car this Saturday, I was told that Gensinger contacted Guardian and that Guardian said my warranty had expired. So I was charged $1,948 for the repair!!!!

I cried a little (well, OK.. I cried a LOT
)... paid the bill... and I was on my way.

So today, I re-read my warranty and discovered that I WAS still covered!!! (It expires 12/31/03 or 72,000 miles - NEITHER of which have hit yet!!)

I contacted Guardian - they told me Gensinger NEVER called and since they never knew about the repair, they might not cover it! I need to send in a copy of the bill along with an explanation of why they were never contacted.

So I immediately called my credt card company and put in a "Dispute Order" for that invoice. They will now stall payment until this is resolved.

Then I contacted Gensinger.. told the manager what happened and demanded an explanation. He's looking into it now and I expect a call later today.

So... for now... I have my car back (and it's running perfectly, Thank God!)... I'm holding payment of $1,948 to Gensinger... and I'm waiting for an explanation from Gensinger so I can prepare a letter to Guardian, requesting payment for the repair.

What an exciting day!!!

Of course... I'll keep you all posted when this gets resolved.

For now... just Keep on Dubbin'!! And watch yer' backs out there. Repair Land can be a tricky (and expensive!) place

- Matty

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Next time bring it up to my dealer, Palisades VW in Nyack, NY. I work there, and we don't jerk customers like Gensinger. Sorry that you had to deal with this...the thing that sucks is because you aren't under factory warranty, VW's survey company won't call you, and you wont get the chance to slam them in the survey.

My dealer is pretty good...just ask Raf.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks GTIVR62801 - I'll definitely keep you guys in mind if I ever need Dealership service again!!

So here's a quick update:

The Dealership (Gensinger) has admitted that they never called the Warranty company (Guardian).

They agree that I should NOT be responsible for payment for the new steering assembly.

We've (Gensinger and myself) contacted Guardian and supplied them with all the necessary paperwork and explanations as to why they were never notified of the repair.

Gensinger is now working with Guardian to resolve the issue.

As for my Passat... it's runnig great!! I noticed that she's pulling to the right a bit so I hafta take her back in this Saturday for an adjustment to the alignment. I'm a little hesitant to deal directly with Gensinger again, but since they're the ones who did the install, I gotta take it back there for any adjustments.

It sucks, I know, but this time I'll be sure to sit in the dealership and wait.. and watch them do the work. No more bullsh!t from those guys!!

Thanks again guys.. I'll make sure to let you all know how it works out in the end.

- Matty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ANOTHER UPATE 11/12/03:

Just to keep you all posted.....

Last week, I received a letter from my Warranty company. They are sending me a check that will cover about 1/2 the total cost for the repair, which was about $2,000.

I tried contacting Gensinger several times, but they have ignored my calls.

So... I just sent a letter to the owner of Gensinger VW, advising him that there's an outstanding balance on the new steering assembly and telling him how disappointed I am with the service, lies and disregard I have experienced with his dealership.

I also copied that letter to Volkswagen of America, Inc., as well as to the Better Business Bureau.

The way I figure... at least I'm not getting stuck paying the full $2,000... AND... I left the door open for Gensinger to possibly deal with the remaining balance.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed at this point and hopefully I'll get a positive response from Gensinger.

Thanks!!!

- Matty

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hope things go well. Lots of b!tching is the way to go to get things done. Make sure to let the dealer know you've contacted VWoA and the BBB. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts