VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok everyone.. Im debating on signing my life away for another 5 years so I can have one of the first R32s in Maryland. If i get the car Id opt for the DSG. Now I saw someones post about being "pimp slapped" for not getting a manual... but really... when you think about it, it makes sense... even with the 6 spd DSG, you would still be getting about 215hp to the wheel, which would still out run a VR6 if I did my math correctly... you can still up/down shift... basically all the perks of owning a manual, but without the hassle of a clutch. I live in a congested area... and work is a bit further now than it was before, which means more miles, and once i get into town, better mileage... i dunno.. anyone have an opinion on this...thanks!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i already told ya but i figured id tell ya again.... MANUAL SHIFT TRANNY, way more fun and alot more responsive than the slapstick

maybe you could buy the r32 and keep ur car or get an old beater that you can drive to work and back (keep miles off the R32)

good luck on ur choice

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well i'll tell you about a SMG tranny. I drove my dads Z4 3.0 SMG this past weekend. and in reality it was shifting much quick then i would be able to do with a manual. It actually took me awhile to finally get all of the timing down on when to shift and let off the gas and all but once i got it down, it was nice and smooth, and quick as hell.

jon

edit: another thing about BMW's SMG is that even though your in first gear, you would still roll back like it was in netural on a hill.

[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: Bora2021 ]

·
Registered
161 Posts
MANUAL is my opinion.....more fun....hope u get ur R32.peace.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Dammit that Z4 looks sick. What is R32?
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust Kidding. DOn't shoot me. Ahhh what the heck shoot me.

MK3GRL the R32 will be and awesome choice and I am sure you will love your DSG.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Personally I would get manual...but thats just me! make sure you test drive it (if that's possible) because if you're not happy with the DSG after you order it, you're pretty much scerwed.

Hey jon, do you launch that z4 at every stop? That feature alone is worth the SMG!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well when i drove the Z4, it only had 600 miles on it so i couldn't push it much. Hopefully next time i go down it will be all broken in so i can have some fun in it.

jon

·
Registered
133 Posts
Manual manual manual.

When I drive the Jeep I really miss driving a manual. I feel as if I have more control over the car and I can wind it out a little more up a hill or making a quick turn, ect. In an auto, you don't really get to make that decision. But at the same time, there is nothing like working out your left leg in a lot of traffic.

As someone said before, go with the R32 and buy a $500 A2 G/J beater to daily drive.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i say get dsg. its so frigin cool. you can hold the rpms as much as you want so its like a true your choice trany but it shifts really fast. its awesome! think about it. would they have the same idea on a new m3 if it wasnt amazing. i think not!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
hmmm decisions. i think i would take the manual tranny but i would like to drive dsg to feel the response.

you should keep ur current car as your winter beater!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, if i do get it Im definately getting the DSG... But Im still torn on giving up my little 4cyl.... we've been through alot and she was my first car, I have a couple months to think it through.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Qwikkihf:
DSG, unless you're inhuman, manual won't beat it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

your right manual won't beat it! i forget where i saw it, maybe on vwvortex, but in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times the dsg proved to be much faster by knocking off valuable seconds.

dsg is cool!! it's just like the ferrari f1 shifting but just a little less advanced.

[ August 09, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
hot r32 are the shit. I would love one. you may love your golf, but I guarantee you will fall in love al over again with the r32

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mk3grl:
Well everyone...I got the job... you are looking at the Newest member of the Cooks VW Team!!!!! WHHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that you're one of them. Do you get an employee discount? Go fer the DSG. I'm a manual freak and I would sooo get it–It's the highest tech piece of equipment to date!
No torque converter=More gas for you to enjoy!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
i dont know if anyone else has read this but the auto-tranny DOES NOT like modding i read somewhere that with the auto you cannot add a future supercharger or a turbo kit or even fast-gas, the trans will just shut sown and you will go nowhere! so if you plan to leave it alone then i guess you could go with the auto, but either way id go standard! but hey an r32 is an r32 even if the trans was made out of kinex' id still rock it....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts