VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from setting a car on fire or giving it an acid bath or sandblasting... what's the best way to remove decals from body panels?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I would say what raf said. but not in a as harsh way as he did. next time you see him i would kick his a$$
jon

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raf has seen my car, I'm sure he's treating this like an intervention or something. Either that or he's after some free food and beers.

I wasn't asking for me... it's for a friend. Yeah that's right for a friend. Anyway he's thinking of removing a stripe and painting his wing white.

[ January 23, 2004: Message edited by: JJ2112 ]

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Is it the guy in the beetle? And havent any of you heard of painting parties? You know, the ones you invite your friends to help you paint your apartment in exchange for food and booze?

[ January 23, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas, goo-gone.. I shoulda remembered that one.

No Raf... it's me, not the Beetle guy (my bro-in-law Dave). I was thinking of when I seal the leakage from the wing mount I'd remove the stripe and paint the wing white, leave the end vertical pieces black.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
this UN-DU stuff works a lot better than goo gone.

then, get some rubbing alcohol, to take that off. then a good wash. using a heat gun always helps-especially when its cold out. best.

[ January 23, 2004: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
this UN-DU stuff works a lot better than goo gone.

then, get some rubbing alcohol, to take that off. then a good wash. using a heat gun always helps-especially when its cold out. best.

[ January 23, 2004: Message edited by: silverGTI ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked up Un-Du and found their website. Seems they have an automotive version of the one you pictured.
Un-Du Sticker and Decal Remover

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
A bucket of 3M adhesive remover, a few friends, a keg and two sheet pizzas.... with extra cheese.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you put the pizza cheese side down onthe decal, right Raf?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a much easier way for you. Just take a hair dryer and hold it over the sticker for couple minutes and then it should come off without any problems.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Goo-Gone works well too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you use anything like this wash it as soon as your done and wax the spot like none-other.....otherwise it will eat your clearcoat over time and you will have dull spots....

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
The hair dryer method works well...if you are a guy and don't have one, a heat gun on low setting works as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After removing the sticker with a hair dryer/heat gun, use a paint cleaner(like Meguire's) followed by a good coat of wax.

Is it just me, but does putting stickers over body panels seems kinda ricey?!?!
You might want to try some Soy Sauce or Duck Sauce
Just playin!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5 TURBO:
Is it just me, but does putting stickers over body panels seems kinda ricey?!?!
You might want to try some Soy Sauce or Duck Sauce
Just playin!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well isn't that funny! How about some deep dish wok wheels, paper lantern tails, change over to sesame oil from synthetic and a pair of chopsticks to replace the shifter!

Thanks for the hints one and all! Yeah I'm different, I've got a few decals, I get labeled as "rice" but I prefer to call it KRAUT!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The hair dryer works well, I took all the pen striping off my Nissan with one....

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KOMPRESSOR02:
Hey JJ see what you started lol<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see if what I started lasts as long in forum-life as you being questioned about why you're here! Contest! LOL

Ya see there's this thing about being part of a group where you know that although there's some "S" being tossed at you for something that it's all in good fun. Whereas on the 'Tex, the "S" was hurtful and not met with a grin or laugh.

Suffice to say, if Raf (or anyone else) can dish it out, they gotta be able to take it as well. And I heard Raf takes it pretty good for being a 'puter doodler... erhm oh is that "graphic artist"? hehehe

All in fun. And I prefer the popcorn rice, Uncle Ben's is too converted.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
The hair dryer works well, I took all the pen striping off my Nissan with one....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The hairdryer idea sounds good. My wife has one so I'll steal hers when the weather gets a little more pleasant to work outside. She also has a heat gun for her rubber stamping and embossing she does. But that might be too hot though, might work good at removing badges providing that I don't burn the paint.

Burnt rice smells really bad and it's already an ordeal that the interior smells like crayons.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts