VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday leaving from a friends house my car bobbled and sputtered a little bit when i was accelerating in a sharp right out of his driveway. As I thought to myself "what is this now?" once I was to the end of the long downhill road he lived on taking another right i hit the has the car bobbled more violently and then made a grinding sound. Thankfully I coasted down a little farther to another friends driveway and parked it for the night. The next morning I put it up on jack stands to check if i blew an axle....Nope. Then I spun one wheel and a grinding sound came from the tranny so i started it up and went through the gears while the tires where in the air nothing through 3 gears. The I put it in reverse and let out the clutch...nothing but the whirrr of stripped teeth. Thought my tranny was done but it sounds more like the differential. Put in your 2 cents!!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the only way to asses the damages are to take it apart and see what broke. but when you get inot buying a kit for it and if it didn't move at all it'll probably be a good amount of damage, so when everything is said and donre it'll most likly be cheaper to go to a junkyard and get a used one. sorry about your luck. but if you think you can handle it take it apart and see what happened.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Check the axles first. From there there's only so many things that can be bad.

SMS basicaly involves the shaft that runs through the diff sliding out of place and blowing a big hole in the tranny case. Usually it results in a tow bill and a big farking hole in your tranny case (often inside the bellhousing where you can't see it until it's out).

The reverse idler is pretty damn easy to destroy, but you really have to be backing up to do it, so I don't know how you could have pulled it off.

Overthrowing 3rd happens sometimes, but doesn't result in anything you've discribed, and involves taking apart the tranny.

You could have shit a driveshaft, or be in the early stages of SMS. The reverse thing boggles me though.

EDIT:
ONE MORE THING: There's a bolt on the very bottome center of the tranny... make sure it's tight. It holds 3rd gear in place, and if something comes lose it can slide around in the tranny, explaining the right turn thing.

[ October 21, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All in all it sounds like my tranny shit the bed. I know repairs all cost way too much unless it's something that I dont have to dismantle the whole thing. I'd almost say time to "upgrade" to a 4k transmission (I love close ratio). So my question is that are they only found in 84 GTI's? and if I'm not able to find one, what would be the closest one? because I know that my totalled red GTI is in a junkyard right now with a perfect transmission in it just waiting to be rescued. The only reason I don't take this as first choice is that i know i'll be paying the same for a 4k if I find one. Do you know what junkyard's usually charge for tranny's either pulled by them or pulled by myself?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
4Ks came in 84 gtis and cabriolets. The 9A is always a good choice too. It came in 85-88ish GTIs and some cabriolets.

Self service wrecking yards usually get between $70-100 for a tranny. VW shops usually get $300 or more for them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i'm still on the hunt for the 4k but they are hard to come by. I know a vw mechanic that also works on a rabbit race team he has a diesel tranny but he said it was very close ratio and he has a alot taller geared transmission. I'd like to go with the close ratio but I'm goin to school in Illinois and I'll be driving there and I don't want to be limited to 70 on the highway all the way there. Then of course I love close ratio thats why I'm deciding not to go with the taller tranny. He's gonna get back to me on what other one's he has. What do you think would be the best one for me? (not only choosing from the two listed)

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I never understand the words "diesel tranny". The trannies that came in diesels were standard FFs and FNs, the same that came in any Rabbit with a 5speed that wasn't a GTI.

I'd go with the 9A if I were you, or do a 5th gear swap from a wide ratio tranny for cruising. If changing 5th gear isn't something you want to do, then go with the 9A.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for clearing a couple things up. How would the (regular rabbit transmission "ff") compare to the 4k? From what it sounds like the 4k is a little bit taller through all gears which would be nice. The fifth gear change would be nice but im just so short on cash I probably wouldn't have the extra money for the gear or anyone to help me install it if it got tough. Oh well I just hope the guy I'm getting my tranny from finds a 9a or anything close. Downtime is a killer!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts