VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever notice when you drive a vw,other drivers of other brands of cars with hoop ride mods. always rev there motors or some stupid act to get your attention.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I just get the "damn, i wish i could afford that" look, then they try to race me. Also did you ever notice that after you kill them, they come flying past you after you go back down to the speed limit?? do they think they won cause they flew by you after you where done racing??
jon

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, in the po-dunk town I live in here in WEST TEXAS (no, I'm not a cowboy nor will I ever be one!!!) they just drive by with a look that says either "what the hell is that" or "that's the funniest lookin honda I ever saw" or they can't see my car at all from their 10ft high lifted 4x4 with custom steal bumpers and cattle guards and mud swampers that have never seen the dirt before and never will becuase the preppy frat daddy that drives it doesn't ever know why people really do that, he just think it looks cool so hey had daddy buy it all for him (that and so when he tries to drive home drunk it won't hurt his truck when he takes out all the mail boxes). But I'm not bitter......

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess when they do pass which is like a couple of minutes later.They feel real tough.Ijust had that happennen to me a week or so ago.It was a pontiac sunfire with exhaust on it like off of a mack truck .After I crushed him bad I get pulled over by a P.A. state trooper.But he let me go!IT HAS TO BE THE VW!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
know how you feel V33, went home to amarillo a few weeks ago and had three people actually ask me "what is that" I cant tell what scared them more, the fact that it was a volkswagen hatchback, or the fact that it wasnt black,gold,red,white,or dark blue.

Vive l'difference

For some reason I only get truly craptastic hoopty rides to try to race me: POS el caminos, a freakin tempo, several bubbatrucks, that kind of crap.

By the way, I had my first real loss yesterday. Apparently a ferrari 355 is a bit out of my league, but we both had a good laugh at the next light

·
Registered
158 Posts
here in jax we are surrounded by "the slow and the curious" , saturday night street races are the funniest thing. Had a ricer trying the explain to me this past saturday that "now that he was done w/ all his body kit and altezza lights, he is ready to "work" on the engine." i was like WTF?, dude you drive a damn EX civic, w/ 500 lbs. extra weight of body kit. but, he still kept going on about how his jackson supercharger was gonna be bad arse, but then when i asked him what kind of intercooler he was gonna run, he just looked at me all cross-eyed and shit...... ricers are so cluless......

·
Registered
124 Posts
I look up to the sky and say...thank you you lord for my VW. And may all honda's die and rot in hell!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
ya know...tonight with is 9/24/02 i just smoked the shit out of a honda accord V6 V-tec...and i know what ya mean...sucks to be them

·
Registered
60 Posts
Around here, Hondas aren't looking for me, but when the little twerps try to challenge on the freeway, I love watching them downshift like crazy, while I lazily keep up...in fifth gear! Love that torque!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bayarea so there is not many hondas around you?Are there alot of vw's?Around here there is alot of vw"s locally,but there also a fair share of hondas.There is one del sol that every time I pass him going the OTHER way he revs his motor at me.Thats what I call tough.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ha... when i pull next to a honda and try to get them to race they just pretend not to see me...i guess they know better.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Most honda's, neon's cavliers, pick-up truck know better to mess with me after i raced a couple of them. I still get an outerstater that doesn't understand the power of VW

jon

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
So a couple of my new friends here in Jerse drive "hooked up" Civics. Well, I just got a Jetta 1.8T and boy are they pissed. One of them decided to pull next to me on my way home from work and rev his engine. HAHA, he was steamed, cooked and burnt most expeditiously.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live on Camp Lejeune in NC. And if any of you are in the military you will see that around a military base everybody tries to race you. They will have like an 87 civic and try to hook it up by putting a racing stripe on it or something. I raced a guy last week in a early 90's civic. He tried telling me he gained about 5 HP from his body kit. Some people have no idea!

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwgti2002T:
I live on Camp Lejeune in NC. And if any of you are in the military you will see that around a military base everybody tries to race you. They will have like an 87 civic and try to hook it up by putting a racing stripe on it or something. I raced a guy last week in a early 90's civic. He tried telling me he gained about 5 HP from his body kit. Some people have no idea!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

vwgti2002T they do add like 5 HP...easy! :: db lol then say's IDIOTS in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice ::

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: db ]

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hehe...today I was at the shop(for welding frames), and it's right next to some high school, so this guy comes by in a Del Sol with the traditional rice kit, and looks at my GTA and I guess assumes I need his opinion and goes "That aint fast man" "Why?" "It ain't got vents". At that point my head exploded. I tried to explain that A it's a track car, and fast enough to do well B why would I dremel speed holes into such a rare car and C you're a moron, but I doubt he got it...ahh what would we do without these people?

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: dirtjumpwill ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
My favorite thing to do is race them and beat them while spinning tires in all gears..then i tell them i won without traction....lol.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I did that with a Mid-Late 90's Eclispe this past weekend. I put my Chip to Race Mode, Turned off the ASR, Light turned green and all of first i was spinning my tires. He chirped right off the line. The whole time i was pulling away from him. When i shifted into second, there was a nice loud chirp from my tires. After i got up to 60-70 mph i went back down to the speed limit and about a mile down the road i had to turn into my Apartment complex and he thought he would be a cool guy and do the good old fly-by. This was my first real race with my new chip with the ASR turned off. I couldn't belive how much power i had.
jon

·
Registered
60 Posts
mark,
There are TONS of VW's here in CA; I believe VW sells the most cars in the US in California. I've seen plenty with mods, but VWs are NOWHERE near as common as rice rockets. For example, today I was driving through the heart of Silicon Valley during rushhour traffic, and I passed 5 ricers in half a mile of freeway--no joke! Out here, there are several quality VW tuner shops (like New Dimensions) but more Rice shops than I care to think about.

One thing I do notice is that in the Bay Area, VW owners (tuned or not) take MUCH better care of their vehicles. I've never seen a mkIV VW with junky bodywork or effects. But most of the ricers have either botched installations or damage that's obviously never going to be repaired. Today, for example, one of the 5 ricers I passes was a new Celica GTS--no plates--with an obnoxious body kit, all bent up and tweaked from an accident. This phenomenon is a common sight in the Bay Area. I speculate that the ricers try to zip around in gridlock and end up misjudging braking distances.

In addition to souped-up rice rockets, the mass of wealth in silicon valley means all kinds of other tuned cars, too. For example, Dinan (as featured in the latest Car and Driver) is based where I live in Morgan Hill, and at this one coffee shop in town I always see a tuned M3 or M5 every time I go there in the morning. When I see AMG'd Mercs and Dinan'd BMW's, I usually just gawk at them, I don't bother challenging the filthly-rich types that drive them.

More than ricers, we have SUV galore out here, and at least every other GMC/Ford truck-based vehicle has a Flowmaster exhaust. I find myself dusting cocky SUVs more than anything else--they beat me for the first 10 feet, then their gearbox reveals its made-to-tow-stuff-not-dragrace limits. Seeya!

Of course, there are also plenty of new Vettes, Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes to clog up the roads, too, but those types NEVER challenge plebian cars like mine--those drivers don't get any attention from people with tuned cars, because they almost never want a challenge.

Well, that's enough rambling--how's this compare to the East Coast?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts