VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a new 79 rabbit two door with a 4 speed trans. i want to put a 1.8 16v engine in it. i have a 79 4 door diesel trans (5 speed) and i want to know if it will fit the 16v.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
I think the most common trans used for this swap is the 4k short ratio from the GTI
what is a 4k trans is it the stock trans that comes with the 16v or is it something special if so y and what year gti does it come out of

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 79_rabbit:
what is a 4k trans is it the stock trans that comes with the 16v or is it something special if so y and what year gti does it come out of<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

any stock 1.8 8v GTI '83-'84 will have the 4k trans.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The 5 speed from the diesel will work with the 16v, the 4 speed that's in your Rabbit will work with the 16v. Anything will work with a 16v.

I run a 4K in my Rabbit with a 16v and it's pretty nice.

Some things you should know:
4K: 84 GTI and Rabbit Convertable
2H: 83 GTI and Rabbit Convertable
9A: A2 GTIs w/8vs and 85-87ish Cabriolets
2Y: Golf and Scirocco 16v (maybe Passat)

The input shafts are different... so if you run an 8v tranny use an 8v clutch disc. If you use a 2Y or a tranny out of a car after 1993 use a 16v disc.

You wont get the full feeling of the 16v with the diesel tranny. Go find a close ratio box. They're easy to find if you know where to look.

Oh... and putting a VR6 in a Rabbit is near pointless. It adds 150lbs to the wrong end of a lightweight car that is already noseheavy.. so it handles and brakes like crap. You can make more power with a turbo 4cyl for the same money and have a car that still handles.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
The 5 speed from the diesel will work with the 16v, the 4 speed that's in your Rabbit will work with the 16v. Anything will work with a 16v.

I run a 4K in my Rabbit with a 16v and it's pretty nice.

Some things you should know:
4K: 84 GTI and Rabbit Convertable
2H: 83 GTI and Rabbit Convertable
9A: A2 GTIs w/8vs and 85-87ish Cabriolets
2Y: Golf and Scirocco 16v (maybe Passat)

The input shafts are different... so if you run an 8v tranny use an 8v clutch disc. If you use a 2Y or a tranny out of a car after 1993 use a 16v disc.

You wont get the full feeling of the 16v with the diesel tranny. Go find a close ratio box. They're easy to find if you know where to look.

Oh... and putting a VR6 in a Rabbit is near pointless. It adds 150lbs to the wrong end of a lightweight car that is already noseheavy.. so it handles and brakes like crap. You can make more power with a turbo 4cyl for the same money and have a car that still handles.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, even a G60 O2A will work as long as you transfer evrything except the pedal box. Just to touch on what Fourt1thirty said about the input shafts, they would need to be enlarged from 90mm to 100mm.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
Correct, even a G60 O2A will work as long as you transfer evrything except the pedal box. Just to touch on what Fourt1thirty said about the input shafts, they would need to be enlarged from 90mm to 100mm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're thinking of the outdrive flanges, not the input shaft. And they will have to be downsized from 100mm to 90mm on anything tranny made after 1986. It's fairly easy, you have to make your own tool. Really simple, I can tell you how if you need to.

I wouldn't bother with an 02A. You really do have to change EVERYTHING, and have to fab brackets. A more realistic thinking about it would be that it will bolt to the engine... but doesn't really "fit" in the car. That's not to say it can't be done... because it has been done. It's just rarely worth it.

I'm about to begin an 02C swap into my Rabbit. That is... a cable shifted 02A based Syncro system.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
[QB]You're thinking of the outdrive flanges, not the input shaft. And they will have to be downsized from 100mm to 90mm on anything tranny made after 1986.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, sorry, I was confusid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts