VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a 1990 MK2 Polo Coupe which I am refurbing and loving it.
I ran into some trouble today when I realised that my head gasket is on its way out. :( The engine has 155,000 miles on the clock and I'm not sure whether the best idea would be to just change the gasket etc or maybe to get a newer engine to put in there and refurbish that. I can do the gasket change myself so that would be the cheaper option but is it worth it on the engine? Does anyone know what engine would be the straightest swap for the 1.3l engine thats in there already? I am kind of limited on cash so I don't want to have to make too many adjustments to get a new engine in there.
Thanks Very Much

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Hey,
I have a 1990 MK2 Polo Coupe which I am refurbing and loving it.
I ran into some trouble today when I realised that my head gasket is on its way out. :( The engine has 155,000 miles on the clock and I'm not sure whether the best idea would be to just change the gasket etc or maybe to get a newer engine to put in there and refurbish that. I can do the gasket change myself so that would be the cheaper option but is it worth it on the engine? Does anyone know what engine would be the straightest swap for the 1.3l engine thats in there already? I am kind of limited on cash so I don't want to have to make too many adjustments to get a new engine in there.
Thanks Very Much
As you say you are limited on cash, the least costly method would be to refurb your original engine, as opposed to buying a newer engine and refurbbing that one. If down the road you want to increase power then you may want to look at another engine that can provide you with more options to increase power. If it was me and I was looking for the cheaper option I would keep the original engine. Just my .02 worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts