VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the eurosport race cai on for about 5k miles. The other day i had it into the dealer in chicagoland for some other reason and the mechanic showed me how the intake was letting all kinds of dust and shit up into the throttle body. He didn't give me a hard time about (warranty wise) AT ALL....the service manager saw the intake too, the mechanic just warned me about it suckign in dust and the front fender not being a safe place for the filter. Please note: it was running fine till i took it to them, perhaps they knocked loose some junk and it flew up to where it could cause a problem.

Anyway, the problem my car is having now is the throttle is sticking a bit: if you are revving it up and you change gears, after you put the clutch in the rpms actually RISE a few hundred rpm before settling back down to where they should be (a few hundred rpm lower in the case of an upshift or down at idle if i just put the clutch in while driving).

The service manager at my vw station had the mechanic clean out the inside of the throttle body supposedly, but even after i drove 160 miles on the highway i'm getting the same problem. I'm down in champaign/urbana now and i'll definitely be putting the stock box back on ASAP. if that doesn't solve the problems i'll be bringing it to the dealer down here that never saw a CAI on my car.

Anyway, what could have caused dust to get sucked in? I know these filters are supposed to be oiled, but when i got my filter in the mail it felt oily, and i checked with potterman's and they said i was all ready to go and install it.... Could i have missed a crucial oiling process due to some bad advice??? Can anyone tell me if my car is seriously screwed up now? It seems like it should just be a simple fix -- i.e. it doesn't seem like a whole lot could have been damaged.

Just want some helpful hints because i know many of you have had CAIs on their cars for a very very long time with no apparent problems......... After 5k miles i'm getting lots of issues with mine now and it's coming off.

Thanks for the help guys, my car felt great a couple days ago now i'm really worried.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
How did the clutch feel before you took it in for service? When a clutch starts to slip, the revs go up slightly before it finally catches...

I personally have never had a problem with my AEM CAI, and it has been on 20,000 miles without a problem. I gotta oil it soon though, its getting dirty.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
What kinda of filter was on it? If it wasn't k&n, i'd recomend getting one.
Did your filter feel like it was oiled, you can tell by the oil that is left on your hands after handling it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
you really shouldent get any dust in there with a quality CAI, i bet it happened beforehand, and your just looking for somthing wrong now.... believe me i know the feeling... you can get some kind of treatment that will clean your whole induction system, dont know how much it runs tho...

·
Registered
223 Posts
last week my cel came on i thought it was my cai filter i had it for about 10 k now so i went and bought a new one and replaced it. it was dirty, i did think that the cell would go off like in the mk3 after i drove it for a couple of miles but it didnt anyway a technician is gonna do it next time I go in for an oilchange where i bought my car because I know him. i hope that it happend from the filter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
How did the clutch feel before you took it in for service? When a clutch starts to slip, the revs go up slightly before it finally catches...

I personally have never had a problem with my AEM CAI, and it has been on 20,000 miles without a problem. I gotta oil it soon though, its getting dirty.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks....can you pull apart your intake to see if you are gettig and dust in your throttle body??? I'd really appreciate if some people with (Race) CAIs would check for this (especially for your own good).

Now that you mentioned it, this progblem happened after they replaced the master cylinder in my clutch. Could they have set something wrong when doing this that could be causing the problems with the throttle when the clutch is depressed? (whenever you depress to upshift, the revs go a few hundred rpm higher when you push in the clutch and you have to pause to shift properly without any feeling of bogging down).
Thanks again....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks....can you pull apart your intake to see if you are gettig and dust in your throttle body??? I'd really appreciate if some people with (Race) CAIs would check for this (especially for your own good).

Now that you mentioned it, this progblem happened after they replaced the master cylinder in my clutch. Could they have set something wrong when doing this that could be causing the problems with the throttle when the clutch is depressed? (whenever you depress to upshift, the revs go a few hundred rpm higher when you push in the clutch and you have to pause to shift properly without any feeling of bogging down).
Thanks again....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUMP, since lots of people have CAIs and could have my problem!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I don't think they bled your clutch master cylinder properly. I don't think this is a CAI issue at all...take it back to your dealer and tell them to bleed your clutch hydraulics right this time...a CAI isn't going to cause your car to raise a few hundred RPMs and then settle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a used cai from someone recently and the filter wasn't very oily like you guys are talking about when I installed it, shoudl I take the filter back off and oil it or will I be ok??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think they bled your clutch master cylinder properly. I don't think this is a CAI issue at all...take it back to your dealer and tell them to bleed your clutch hydraulics right this time...a CAI isn't going to cause your car to raise a few hundred RPMs and then settle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot....what about dust though in the throttle body? Is it a possibility that this cai has let dust through???

And yes, the rpms raise a few hundrew rpms especially right when you press the clutch pedal (EVERY TIME predictably if you're driving on cruise).

To clarify: their claim is that it has made the throttle body dirty thus it is sticking...Personally i saw the mechanic clean it out so i don't believe it......

[ March 04, 2004: Message edited by: butang ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Ok, thanks for your comments before, guys. Sorry for the length of this post, I guess i'm venting still...

Anyway, now almost 3 weeks later (what better way to kill that post-vacation feeling than a trip to your vw dealer) I am able to get the car back in for service. Since viewing the grit inside my throttle body, I took off that piece of shit eurosport CAI. Anyways, when I went back I spoke with a service manager Robert (after waiting over a half hour). Before he would really let me get a word in, he ran off and tracked down the service manager I had spoken to 3 weeks ago, and came back to me with all the "well, your car had an aftermarket part on it....blah blah blah" bullshit. Well, I obviously wasn't gonna put up with their bullshit after they fucked up my car.... (As soon as I drove it off the lot 3 weeks ago I noticed the problem and came back immediately.) After a lot of bitching and moaning ('bring the car in next week' ' oh, are you sure you had an appointment today?') he agrees that they will "check it out tomorrow and see what they come up with." Well, today (tomorrow) he calls me back in the morning and tells me it's a 'cruise control disengagement' device that has failed. I said I'd call back later. This afternoon, I bitched of course that this failure happened while it was on their lot, and that they had taken my car in working order and given it back to me broken -- Why had no one test-driven it after they installed the clutch? The problem is painfully obvious.....

Well, he was pretty short with me over the phone, but I called back later and made him spell me out his last name and that of the old service manager as well as the mechanic. After that brief call, 15 minutes later, he calls me on my cell phone 'just to ask if i was coming in to pick it up today' (the new part will be in on monday, apparently). Anyways, he sang to me like a canary and kissed my ass bigtime when he called me back, obviously because he wanted to cover his own ass after he and his entire service department had been bastards to me. Anyways, I've got my VIN number and i'm going to start to take the steps to formally file this with VWOA. Has anyone else had to report their service department?

Just so you guys know, the only way to get your VW service department to take action is to make them think their asses are on the line (which they are of course....). I had to scare them into being motivated...

Also, this dirt-from-CAI-thing seems to be a separate issue: check your throttle bodies, everyone with a filter down in your fender. You don't want yours to have sand and grit in it like mine.

FYI, the dealership is Jennings VW in Glenview, Illinois. My family had bought a bunch of chevies from jennings without any issues, but with the VW I have gotten nothing but problems from their VW service department.

I'm not out of the water yet, further updates to come.....

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Make sure to screw them on their survey if they did not satisfy you. That hits them in their wallet, because they are graded by VW on their CSI, and the worse it is, the less money they get from VW.

Also, you can call VW Customer Care and get them involved. The number to reach them should be in your Owner's Manual.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts