VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having raced karts and dirtbikes for years, I'm not inexperienced in how to recover from the front wheel(s) locking up momentarily in a turn. That said, I just started racing solo2 in my son's MK4 gti and when the ABS kicks in, the system doesn't allow for the driver to release the pedal a bit and get back on them quick enough. The pedal instantly gets firm and you CAN NOT apply enough brake to effective slow the car like you would without the damn ABS. A quick release of the brake pedal should allow you to reapply, but it doesn't! And NO this is not on ice or water. From my experience in this car I have no doubt that I could out stop a similar ABS equipped gti if my ABS were removed.
So my question is: Does anyone with racing experience in this type of ABS setup have any advice or recommendations?
Have any of you "pulled" the ABS fuse for race day and if so what were the results?

You "fast n furious" kids need not respond. I'm interested in hearing from people that "track" their VW.

2001 1.8t/apr tuned ecu/forge dv/etc. . .
Car is equipped with Audi TT carriers, larger slotted rotors and braided steel lines. The brakes are fine. On a side note - both of us realized that the ASR has to be disabled as well while autocrossing for similar reasons (it won't let you back on the gas early enough during the slightest wheelspin).

Thanks in advance,

AnteFate

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
yeah.. asr is a switch thats simple.. but the asr is basically designed to cut the boost and all power to the wheels under spin and will not allow the system to push the gas until the car recognizes wheel spin is not an issue regardless what u try to tell the car. im assuming the car is doing the same kind of idea with the abs.. id say.. u should be able to pull the fuse, itd make sense to cut power but yet give u the ability to drive back home with the fuse back in and have abs on...

i know pssst autox's frequently in his jetta.. hopefully hell chime in here..
i wonder if theres ne other way to disable the abs function? maybe theres a way you can somehow make a toggle switch inside the gti that could cut the power at the flip of a switch rather then pulling the fuse, much like the asr system..

*fast and the furious kids* pretty hilarious..

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
Disable the ABS is just a fuse. It will, on cars with ESP/ASR, disable that as well as all of these systems utilize the wheel sensors to detect wheel lock/spin. EDL as well actually. To more permanently disable you can also remove/unhook a wheel speed sensor or use a vagcom. All options essentially would do the same thing and shut the ABS down.

Be careful though, the car will be very rear biased without the abs assisting (no electroinc brake proportioning) and tends to prematurely lock in the rear which makes it tail happy for a FWD. Spinning may occur.

ESP I always shut down when running solo events, ABS I deal with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

That was a really quick response. I think I like it here.

I'm gonna give pulling the ABS fuse a shot at the next event. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ante

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In National events we run in ST, but get beat up pretty bad by the 89-91 Civic hatchbacks. In cscc, cal club (so. California) we have a "CST" class which is california street tire. It's kind of a "fun" class, in that you run what you brung as long as it's on 140 treadwear street legal tires or higher treadwear rating. That's pretty much the only stipulation, so as you can guess there is a huge variance of cars. Everything from Corvettes to supercharged Yaris'. But to answer your question, we leave the boost up and don't have to worry about wheel widths, rotor size, anti-sway bars etc. . .

As for the ABS guys. WOW! What a difference. We pulled the fuse (#9) today that controls the ASR and the ABS and the car is soooo much more intuitive. I was a little hesitant at first, but man are we glad we disabled the ABS. Neither of us took out more than 1 cone at a time (in a total of 12 runs) and the car never did anything out of character. Even in down hill off-camber hard breaking. The rear does seem to break lose a little more often, but no spins and the front brakes worked perfect. Like a car should. If you AutoX or track your VW, I HIGHLY recommend disabling both ASR and ABS.

Thanks again guys.

AnteFate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. It really was that simple:D Pull fuse #9 and it disabled both ASR and ABS with NO ill-effects and made the car much more driveable at the limit.

Thanks again for all your help guys.:K:

Peace,

AnteFate

Attachments

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
I have always wanted to auto x. Was going to build my scirocco but ended up selling it. There is events at a local park in pittsburgh that gets pretty big.

·
Knows nothing about VWs
6,954 Posts
Yeah, you should try it out with the wifes car (yours would scrape bad) Stock cars are fun to throw around due to the body roll :).

Here is mine at some events:

Don't judge my low, i have to raise it to race. :p

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Hmmmm. Got me think. However the mk5 is an autotragic. Would really like to find a first gen miata.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ Psssst. . . . Thanks for posting the pics of your jetta. I love seein other guys AutoXing their vdubs. It looks like you've got a good suspension setup.

@Fubar . . . You really should try AutoX. You won't regret it. It's a lot of fun and pretty inexpensive. In So Cal, it's like $25 for a weekend membership and then $30 to run on Sunday, which is usually 4 runs.

AnteFate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts