VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i install a Diverter Valve on a 1.8T with automatic transmission, will i still get that BOV sound? You know..."Ptsssssssss"

(I know, I know...I wish i had a manual too)

And what are some of the best brands on the market? Do they all make the same sound or are some louder?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
There is a diffrence between a Blow-Off Valve and a By-pass valve (also known as a D/V). VW isn't to good with a Blow-off valve, you'll be tripping codes left and right. I have a Turbo X/S by-pass valve that's adjustible. I would suggest getting a D/V and if you want that cool PSSST sounds, get a Cold air intake and you'll get it (from what i am told). Some of the brands that are out there is Forge, Baily, ABD, and count-less others. Just look at tunning and parts pull down menu and see what those sites offer.
jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the turbo XS bypass valve!! I'm soo excited. Whenever the doorbell rings I sprint to the door hoping it's the UPS guy

Do you have any suggestions for brands of Intakes for the 1.8T?

Gantoris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTI2001

I just got the Turbo XS bypass valve, but it also says Blow off valve on the top. The seller said that this was the one made for the 1.8T. The type is the H25. Is that the one that you have?

Thanks

Gantoris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It's the same one i have. If you read the directions (i missed it the first time too), it says you can leave the top pipe off (the smallest one) and just plug the end of it, then in hence it is a blow off valve. But i took the safe route and put the pipe onto the top, hence making it a D/V. I didn't want to set off any codes or create any problems. Just a suggestion, get some pipe clamps and put them on the bottom and side pipe. When i got my BCS, i didn't put the clamps on yet and the pressure from the turbo blew off my D/V, and let me tell you, the sound i heard scared the shit out of me while i'm going down the road at 80mph.
jon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guys, i have a 2001 1.8t.
About 3 weeks ago i put in a Turbosmart Blow Off Valve. I works fine in my car. People from about 7 cars away can hear "ppsssss" sound. It's even louder when i am in between cars. As for the intake, i got the K&N drop in air filter. I think the drop in gives you the most power from my experience. I used to have a cone in but when i put the drop in filter in i got a trip out of 3rd gear. no jokes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Guys,

Just installed my Bypass Valve. I love it, it sounds soo cool!! I didn't put the outlet into the intake tube and let it release into the atmosphere so i guess it is a Blow off valve now. Personally i think the louder the better!! I don't think its rice if its loud.

Thanks for all your help.

Gantoris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts