VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this took me a whole day to do. with the headliner and everything off already.

so i suggest you get a day off before you attempt.

Here are the tools you will need to do this task u need a 17mm socket, 2 cans of heavy duty 3m adhesive picture shown below, and 5 yards of fabric of ur choice i used fleece and it worked fine. when adhearing the fabric make sure you have a buddy to help otherwise it will be very hard. make sure it is not sunny and hot outside. suggest going inside. it sprays like silly string not like spray paint

k first you need to remove the arms in the front and back and sides

for the front arms just pull and the clips will come undone, there will be a little rope holding it to the frame cut this with a knife

next remove seat belt from side of car.

now use the claw screw driver thing to get behind the rubber and pull the plastic towards you be gentle you it will crack down the middle. do a little bit on each side then pull out a lil ways till you can get the cloth part then just pull and it will come right out

alright now for the rear arms just pull them out they will be awkward but they do come out.

next you have to remove sunvisor. how its installed it has a claw so pull and twist the sunvisor arm thing(that goes into the headliner) towards the floor board

to get the other part of the sunvisor off use the claw driver thing barley put it in the top and pull it down. go in too far and it wont do anything but damage it so barley on the tip. like so

now this random thing just unscrews... idk what its usefullness is but

now do the oh shit handles

they are simple

next step is the sunroof control. this piece comes out very easily use a small flat head and be careful so u dont ruin fabric it comes out next do the same with the plastic covering the bulbs pull down from the back of it. meaning side that is closest to rear of car. there will be 2 screws remove them and they will fall right out..

on the driver side arm there will be 2 wire harnesses undue them.
along with the sunroof harnesses there will be 3 all together going into the motor

the headliner now is only being held up by the sunroof lips so pull towards hood then pull back and it will come off. to get this out of the jetta lean both seats back as far as they will go and open rear door and you have to angle it just right so be careful.

when you get this in the house then you can remove the little lights under the visor and in the rear. it will be easier that way.

now you have the sunroof slider thing. makes sure sunroof is completely open then u will have to lift the little white clips in the back in the upwards motion. then the rear guides of the sunroof thing will come out. then angle the front ones diagonally so u can get one side off then the next front one will come right out.

now lay some plastic down. make sure you buy this 3m sticky adhesive i bought two at 20 bucks each

make sure you have your buddy with. this way the two of you can each have a can to spray so the adhesive wont dry out. lay fabric over the headliner and cut around (before you spray adhesive) now take fabric off and spray headliner go over the same spot 3 times then move down the headliner. this is the hardest part. always make sure your fabric is lined up. after you have sprayed the adhesive you hold one end and your friend holds the other and lay it down evenly then from the center out push down on the fabric and make sure there are no lines and that everything is sticking. do the same thing with the arms. as for the sunroof unscrew the tracks, and for the plastic piece that you grab when u close the cover that just pops out. make sure you dont break it though be careful.

Now that all your pieces have dried you need to trim and finish them.

the front arms are easy just use a screw driver and tuck it between the plastic and metal as shown.

as for these i trimmed then sprayed little lines with the adhesive i had then glued the edges around. i cut excess fabric off.

one your done then you can start putting it back together the way you took it off. when your putting everything back on. do headliner first then the arms. MAKE sure you get the headliner on the sunroof edges like it was otherwise it will just hang.

now your done now enjoy your new interior

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
65 for fabric 40 for adhesive spray but when ur finished the look is priceless

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
how did u / how hard was removing the old fabric?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I guess it wouldn't be to bad to do this if you were just going over the old fabric. Just make sure you get it plenty tight so it doesn't look like poo...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup thats all you gotta do... make sure you have a buddy #1 Rule it helps a lot

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
where did u get ur fabric from? jo ann fabrics?

thats the only fabric store around here and their selection kinda sucks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
05 i got mine from laurasfabric. i bought it offline and they had a huge selection of camo so i am sure they have what you are looking for i recommend it!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya lol it has to have a arts and craft section though... some dont these days

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts

u didnt put fabric in the little bend at the bottom? im making mine work thats wats taking me soo long is making this shit look right and professionally done. thats the one thing about me im too detail oreinted when i do shit i make it look like i paid someone to do it lmao..

but yea the headliner should be goin back in this weekend (crosses fingers)

all i got left is the big peice which is halfway done. i ran outta adhesieve went thru two cans already had to go buy a third so yea shouldnt b too much longer. plus i didnt do this all at once like about an hour or so every day after i got home from work so thats y its takin so long to do it.

diy to come shortly hopefully.. im also hoping for it to be one of the most detailed ones on the web :K:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh i did. that little bend on the end is where my sun screen attaches. that whole piece is plastic. i made it look pro :) no worries. its a jetta thing GTI's dont have one

1 - 20 of 68 Posts