VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Polo with about 90,000 km on it.
Lately its been acting a bit sluggish. AND the Check Engine Light comes on at random times. And I've even had it go into "go slow mode".
Upon looking at the fault codes, the VW service centre suggested replacing the pre-cat O2 sensor. Then took it to a local guy who replaced the sensor.
No difference.
He is now looking at it and suggesting that the timing belt shows some crusty-ness on it that he claims is coming from the idler pulley.
He wants to change the timing belt, cam belt, idler pulley and the water pump and then see if there is an improvement.
Is he just guessing? Could the timing be slipping due to a worn idler pulley and therefore causing the sluggishness and CEL?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is the recommended interval to replace the timing belt on your model? What is interval recommended for water pump?
Is your engine an interference engine? meaning if the belt breaks, do the pistons and valves get together to destroy your engine or the pistons have enough clearance to not touch the valves when they are fully opened?
On some cars, timing belt replacement are normal routine maintenance and if not done, can be very costly.
As example, a Honda civic 1995 has 60,000 miles / 4 years recommended belt replacement , i am sure you can get away with waiting a little longer but the consequences can be devastating.
I'll say do the idler, belts, water pump, ... update , put new spark plugs and go from there,
Cheers,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts