VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to get an alignment if you install just a rear sway bar?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would have to go with no. I don't see why you would have to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You must be right...seems like a stupid question actually.

·
Registered
777 Posts
put my mark under no, theres no such thing as a stupid question tho!

·
Registered
21 Posts
While your putting in your rear sway bar, you might want to think about making the front a little stiffer as well. You don't want to create a problem of over-steer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear sway bar is going to happen soon, but I still do not know which to get.

The stock front sway is 22mm. How much of an oversteer problem would, say, a 28mm bar cause here? I was thinking of the shine bar perhaps.

Many are saying to keep the stock front sway....

Opinions? TIA.

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by butang:
The rear sway bar is going to happen soon, but I still do not know which to get.

The stock front sway is 22mm. How much of an oversteer problem would, say, a 28mm bar cause here? I was thinking of the shine bar perhaps.

Many are saying to keep the stock front sway....

Opinions? TIA.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You shouldn't have an oversteer problem at all. If you plan on replacing the front then go with a very large rear, like the shine. The heavy VR6 up front will help keep any excessive oversteer to a minimum

[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
In a FWD car, oversteer is the least of your problems. I know in mine, the front end breaks loose years before the rear end would swing out. I think putting a rear bar in should help the car track a little more evenly, but I doubt it would be enough to convert the car to oversteer.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
A stiff rear sway such as the shine (yes it is stiffer than autotech and neuspeed 28mm) will create oversteer if you let off throttle in the middle of a hard turn. I would not put in a larger front, but I would take it easy until you learn the new handling characteristics of the new rear bar. If the thought of the rear coming out scares you or if you are uncomfortable with that, the shine bar is not the right bar for you, I would recommend the neuspeed. I don't like Autotech's design.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm plenty comfortable with the rear coming out when I'm driving, say, a Miata.

I'm still getting used to driving FWD cars fast. As long as I can correct too much oversteer when it happens everyone's happy.

Any experience with the ABD rear bar?

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: butang ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, have people here needed to purchase any front end-links with h&r sports esp. on a vr6? I think i'm ok from visual inspection but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by butang:
I'm plenty comfortable with the rear coming out when I'm driving, say, a Miata.

I'm still getting used to driving FWD cars fast. As long as I can correct too much oversteer when it happens everyone's happy.

Any experience with the ABD rear bar?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I have seen, and I may be wrong, the ABD bar is very similar to the Autotech. What I don't like about Autotech, it the way that everything fastens to the rear torsion beam, plus the fact that there is a major problem with the fasteners rusting. Read this thread for more info. The guy that wrote this thread, knows more about VW suspensions than just about anyone I know, he is an engineer by trade so I value his opinion highly.

Autotech RSB Thread

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[QB]Do i need to TRIM THE BUMPSTOPS in the front and rear with these H&R/bilsteins?
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To answer my own question....no i don't have to.

Now what about the 44 ft-lb torque spec for inner/outer nut?

Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
You wouldn't happen to be lowering the front would you? B/c if you lower it more than an inch your are going to need a new front sway bar. Some people have said that they didn't get a new one and have't had any problems. But all the experts I've talked to say you should.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 'experts' I've talked to (eg, Mike Potter) have told me I would be fine in keeping the stock sway with the not-so-drastic h&r sport drop and that i shouldn't have rubbing. As far as i can tell visually there is no rubbing of the front sway with the driveshaft. Apparently with race springs (2" drop) it would be a different story. Also, I've heard you can get new endlinks instead of a whole new front sway that will allow for driveshaft clearance while retaining stock sway with a larger drop.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The 'experts' I've talked to (eg, Mike Potter) have told me I would be fine in keeping the stock sway with the not-so-drastic h&r sport drop and that i shouldn't have rubbing. As far as i can tell visually there is no rubbing of the front sway with the driveshaft. Apparently with race springs (2" drop) it would be a different story. Also, I've heard you can get new endlinks instead of a whole new front sway that will allow for driveshaft clearance while retaining stock sway with a larger drop.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is correct. The only reason I suggested that this may be a problem in the past, is I know yours is a VR, and I didn't know if they possibly sent you 1.8t/2.0 springs instead. I know a few people got VR springs on another website, and I figured it would be possible. But yes, if you do have the correct springs, you should not have problems with sports rubbing the front sway. I also know many people with H&R Race that haven't had this problem, so it seems to be different with everyone. And as you alread found out, no you should not have to cut the bumpstops on bilstein sports. This is common for people with Koni Sports though. I will be cutting mine sometime soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
[QB] The only reason I suggested that this may be a problem in the past, is I know yours is a VR, and I didn't know if they possibly sent you 1.8t/2.0 springs instead. [QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought H&R made only 1 sport spring for 1.8t/vr6/tdi.....

edit: I think neuspeed might offer a different spring specifically for the vr6.

Anyway, judging from a quick look at the pics of the drop on your jetta, my car looks like it has less of a gap in the front. And, as a result, my car is raked forward somewhat.

Gap in front wheel well is a tight 2 fingers; in the rear it's 3.

My guess is that even though the vr6 is a little heavier in front, it doesn't make enough of a difference to slam the sway bar into the driveshaft. Like you said, big dong, there are a lot of 1.8Ts on race springs with the stock front bar.

Initially i thought that the extra drop in the front of my car was due to not reusing those spacers we talked about before, but if you also didn't reuse them on your car, it's gotta be the vr6 weight that makes a difference.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do i need to TRIM THE BUMPSTOPS in the front and rear with these H&R/bilsteins?

I've come up with 44 ft-lbs for the torque spec of inner and outer front strut nut. Can someone confirm this for me?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts