VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a new to me jetta (1.8t auto) a few weeks ago and within 50 miles it started started a grinding noise . After troubleshooting, a friend and I decided it was the water pump since it was also starting to boil. Ordered the parts and planned a Saturday. 5 hours later I had new water pump, tensioner, timing belt, etc. Felt good to save some $ and do it myself. Within 10 minutes, I realized the misdiagnosis. Further research made me believe I had a bad can shaft tensioner. Ordered the parts, waited a week and then got sick for a week. After being down I couldn't wait to get my car on the road so I took another sick day. Shitty 4 hour job, but I love this car now. I had a few doubters but these jobs aren't bad for anyone somewhat mechanically inclined. Don't be scared fellows, go fix your V-dub yourself. The grease under your nails may be hard to explain after a week of sick time, but worth it.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
there are so many how-tos for 1.8ts all over the internet. some jobs are tough to tackle but you end up learning so much just tinkering around or doing a timing belt job. kudos for doing it yourself. saves so much money, and you learn a lot about your car.

·
Registered
981 Posts
whats the worst i could do?
Well if your starting from something that doesnt run then yes.... otherwise ive learned to disagree hhaha

Bravo, sir for tackling it yourself! I did the same thing almost 3 years ago when a friend blew up the motor in my newly purchased 20th ae gti.

Needless to say, I have not put a wrench down since, and rebuilt the car top to bottom on my own. Motor, Big Turbo, yada yada yada...yawn... :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
this seems to be my moto when working on my car whats the worst i could do?
Well I discovered that everytime I say that something major goes wrong while I was trying to fix something minor. I have been the same way with my 1.8T, when I had my 2.slow I seriously only had to do a temp sensor and general matinence for the 60K that I had it. With the 1.8T is 100 times better to drive but find that there is a lot more little things that can and do go wrong with it but with the help of DIY guides online have been able to do everything my self.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well if your starting from something that doesnt run then yes.... otherwise ive learned to disagree hhaha

Bravo, sir for tackling it yourself! I did the same thing almost 3 years ago when a friend blew up the motor in my newly purchased 20th ae gti.

Needless to say, I have not put a wrench down since, and rebuilt the car top to bottom on my own. Motor, Big Turbo, yada yada yada...yawn... :p
very true, most the time I'm fixing something is when it brakes, like my motor, me and my dad ripped just went ahead and ripped it out, what's the worst that could happen it already didn't work

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
i do it all myself.. unless im lazy or short on time then it goes to my buddies shop.. but hes the only person i let under my hood mechanic wise :)

bravo to tackling it yourself!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
bravo. i do everything myself unless im busy with work or just dont have the energy i have a friend of mine that i pay to do it. turning wrenches for a living makes you not want to go home and turn more wrenches on your own car sometimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts