VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
I have a quick question on behalf of my friend. He just bought another gti 18t and was wondering, how much would a down pipe help, and what would it exactly enable him to do (ie run higher boost?), and what the approx gain would be. Thanks in advance..

usman..

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
From European Car Magazine:

"Whether you decide to keep the stock turbo or upgrade, concentrating on flow into and out of the turbocharger itself is very important. We have been impressed with the effects of a compressor inlet pipe, and a large, smooth-flowing turbine downpipe should also help. A more efficient exhaust system, even perhaps including the cat, is a good idea and will make a dramatic difference as boost is increased. The energy available to drive the turbine is the flow rate through the turbine multiplied by the pressure difference across the turbine. Less backpressure means more energy. With the small turbos typically used on 1.8ts, it's difficult to make an exhaust system loud."

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice find Thomas! I've got a Techtonics Tuning d/p and cat-back, and it made a world of difference. They claim a 20hp gain with the combo, and I'll agree to that! Plus it has a real nice sound to it without sounding like a ricer. I would say for the 1.8T it, along with a cat-back system, is one of the best upgrades you can buy!

·
Registered
349 Posts
i agree with v33, i installed a techtonics turbo-back exhaust on my cousin's mk4 last summer and it helped a lot. it's also pretty easy to do unless you break the studs on the turbo as my friend did on his. just take your time and be patient with it. plus the techtonics with the borla muffler sounds sweeeet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys,you have definatly given me a better insight on this matter, much props to ya

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
a freind of mine had the luck of being the prototype car for the eurosport one. he said he loved it and it was freeeeeee.. for him.. well check it out at www.eurosportacc.com

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
From European Car Magazine:

"Whether you decide to keep the stock turbo or upgrade, concentrating on flow into and out of the turbocharger itself is very important. We have been impressed with the effects of a compressor inlet pipe, and a large, smooth-flowing turbine downpipe should also help. A more efficient exhaust system, even perhaps including the cat, is a good idea and will make a dramatic difference as boost is increased. The energy available to drive the turbine is the flow rate through the turbine multiplied by the pressure difference across the turbine. Less backpressure means more energy. With the small turbos typically used on 1.8ts, it's difficult to make an exhaust system loud."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree w/ everything in that post, except---- " With the small turbos typically used on 1.8ts, it's difficult to make an exhaust system loud"
My dumptube begs to differ, w/ it completely open you can hear me a mile away.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WU-CHILD:
I agree w/ everything in that post, except---- " With the small turbos typically used on 1.8ts, it's difficult to make an exhaust system loud"
My dumptube begs to differ, w/ it completely open you can hear me a mile away.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehehe. Trust me... my dub is a freaggin' Supersonic Jet when it reaches 4500RPM and beyond.

However that was a quote from European Car Magazine so I did not want to change it.

[ May 05, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So whats a rough cost on this setup, and how is the $/HP breakdown?

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
So whats a rough cost on this setup, and how is the $/HP breakdown?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got my set up from Performance Cafe. They had it on special for $700. Now it's back up to $800 for the stainless system (which is what I got). TT has a dyno sheet on thier site of a Beelte 1.8T that had just the cat-back on it, and it had about an 11hp gain. TT claims the whole system gives you a 20+hp gain, and like I said, I don't doubt those numbers one bit! That and you heard mine, you know it sounds goooooooood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts