VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been lowered 3 inches for a year and a half and no problems. I know of quite a few people with really low dubs and no probnlem with going through axl;es. Are you sure the grinding noise is the axles again? also were the boots torn on the old axles.If somthing is rubbing through it will cause them to wear out quicker.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ok I put new axels in my car an everything was fine for about a week an after that I started to get a little grinding noise from both sides more from the d side figured well it aint broke wont fix it . had the car in the shop getting water pump replaced same week the altenater went good 500.00 week huh well while i was waiting was reading an old issue of European Car about this dude in canda who was racing a carado a jetta an a golf there talking about parts longevity an axles came up they said that lowered a2s signifigantly reduce the life of drive axles is there any truth to it my car is lowered I,m not exactly sure how much I got eibach coils an bilstein struts visually its alot measurement wise ?????? please tell me if all this is true because I need to remedy all this the noise is very aggrivating not to mention expensive

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
It usually isn't a problem, but MK2s that have been lowered a lot, and make a lot of power can break axles under hard race conditions. BSI sells shortened axles for just this reason, but you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Your noise might be wheel bearings. If you moved the car at all with the axles removed, you ruined the bearings. Or if you didn't properly torque the axle nuts down at the wheel hub... you ruined the bearings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
thanks for replying I,m not sure if the car was ever moved withou the axles in it I purchased a parts car with the parts on it an the motor was already out so it is very possible that the shell was moved around without axles in the spindles that will ruin a wheel bearing ?I,m going to replace the axles under warranty an immediatly have new bearings installed.. thanx again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts