VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am mechanically inclined but have never had to change a cv axel. this is on the drivers side.

It looks like the axel broke right at the steering knuckle
so I hope I dont have to replace anything other than that.

DO I need any special tools or a second set of hands to get the job done. Can I just pull the axel out and put knew one in without any internal issues in differential.

thanks again.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
how the phuck did you break the axle? Must have been pretty bad.

You'll need a triple square bit (12 point, 8mm I think, some tool places have them, and all VW specific shops). Should you strip a bolt out, don't fear, a 1/4" allen pounds right into the stripped hole and usually removes the bolt.

You'll need a 30mm socket and a big ass breaker bar... probably a cheater bar too. The axle nut torque is 135ft/lbs... that's REALLY tight, so breaking it loose is going to be a pain. When you put it back together, just stand on the breaker bar, since being too tight actually helps your wheel bearings.

Usually the easiest way to get it out is to pull the front inner control arm bolt, and pull the control arm out of its pocket to give yourself a little extra room.

Pretty easy job once you get in there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.. ya I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard. what is the triple thing--i've never heard of one

so once the steering/braking stuff it out of the way then its just pulling the old shaft and putting in the new one. I dont have to lube it or anything right?

sorry if any of my concerns make me sound like a newbie

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Triple square is the proper name for it... it's really just a 12 point allen bit. Wont find it at Sears, but Snap-On makes one, and most VW repair/parts places sell them.

Getting it undone is easy, betting it out is a little harder. Just don't mess with anything that could screw up the alignment. ie: don't undo the 3 bolts that hold the lower balljoint to the control arm, or the two that hold the strut to the spindle.

You'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts